Rained Out ... June 10, 2009

And here I thought some of those 70 to 75 mile riding days were long. Today has been nothing but frustration and boredom.

It was raining all morning, so I decided to spend another day here in Tremonton, UT, at a hotel that advertises WiFi ... either my computer or their equipment is not working right. Can’t even do cross-word puzzles on-line … what’s a guy to do without the internet (other than head over to the McDonalds across the street where you can purchase WiFi time). I can only read for so long, or watch the news reports of the shooting at the Holocaust Museum for so long. Loooooooooong day.

So what's my the plan?

Tomorrow, rain or shine, I am heading towards Pocatello, ID, then westward to Twin Falls and Boise. From there, I will be heading up to the Columbia River and across Oregon to either Portland or the coast, depending on how the schedule goes. The end goal is to be in Eugene on the 29th of June. Depending on my state-of-mind at that point, I hope to then head across country towards the East Coast. We shall see …

So why am I doing this?

Still have not found a strong reason, other than I felt I needed to get out of the daily rut I had fallen into since retiring … coffee and newspaper, Internet, cross-word puzzle, avoid cleaning, run errands (bank, grocery stores, library, whatever) on my bike, read, nap … not much was getting done, but it was terribly comfortable. So I decided that I needed to do something to get out of my comfort zone … this trip has indeed successfully done that!

I am hoping that I will have some sort of epiphany, one of these days, which will bring some new energy to my life … after all, I figure I have another 20 to 30 years left on this earth. Best make those years productive.

Having said all that, I sure hope it isn’t raining tomorrow morning.

2 comments:

  1. Always a joy to read your posts, glad to see your supporting the economy, Macdonald's...

    You have a different perspective on rain and wind, when a person drives, never take into account.

    Here is a map of where your going, not that you need it, but us setting at home can follow you.

    http://maps.google.com/maps?tab=ml

    not sure this will work, give it a try

    Stay healthy and enjoy, again, really enjoy your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi randy,
    i am impressed with your tenaciousness and it seems your spirits are riding high. ruth and i are leaving tucson next wednesday for 3 month car camping tour of the northwest. we have a number of stops to make but are flexible as to date and place. i'll check in to see where you are in july. maybe we'll be able to hook up somewhere. stay safe out there.

    ReplyDelete