Almost there ... (June 27, 2009)


One more day of riding and I will have reached Eugene. 1650 miles (+/-) ... as they say at AA, "Take it one day at a time."

Today's ride was quite varied. The roads are great, except for some of the road that was pointed upward ... took about two hours to get to the summit, but after that it was a glorious run downhill. There is great beauty in the wooded forests ... there has also been great devastation due to forest fires. I cannot imagine how nervous the National Forest Service people must get during dry spells.

There are also tremendous lava flows that run along the road for great distances. This is a reminder of how volcanically active this area is, and just how recent, geologically speaking, these flows occured. Balancing out the dark shades of the lava flows is the McKenzie River, which runs along quite a bit of the second half of today's ride. The McKenzie River is a fast moving, fairly shallow river, with lots of rapids. Lots of shades of blue and white when the sun shines on the river.

I am bedding down at a RV park in Rainbow tonight. In most cases, these RV parks have a small general store ... this one does not. I asked where the nearest store is, and the lady said one was about a mile and a half on down the road ... then asked what I was going to buy. I told her "A couple cans of beer and some stew." She told me to wait a minute, then came back with two cans of beer and some stew (no charge) ... later she stopped by my camping spot with some apple pie. Either she is incredibly nice, or I looked as though I was on my last legs. I prefer to think she is just very nice.

Not really a "small world" item: I was talking with a retired guy at the City of Sisters City Campground last night ... he is a retired Civil Engineer who had specialized in hydro-electric dams. I mentioned to him that the father of my sister-in-law, Carol, had been a top administrator/engineer when the Hoover Dam was built near Boulder City, NV. When I told him Ed's name, he responded that he had never met Ed, but he knew of him and had great respect for Ed's work and reputation. I never knew the Ed Nielsen this guy spoke of ... the Ed I knew was very unassuming, humble and probably enjoyed a good joke as much as anyone I have ever met.

It's getting late, and the light along the McKenzie River is growing dim ... time to squat into the tent and enjoy the discomfort of sleeping on the ground in a sleeping bag.

But still, life is good.

2 comments:

  1. I think Rainbow RV Park Lady was neither worried about you or just being nice, I think she was looking for some summer romance. Just my take. Keep your eyes open, Randy! There are more than deer/antelope, Mt. Whatevers and wildflower/weeds out there in them thar hills!
    (So tempting to insert the smiley face right about here. The winky smiley face, in fact.) Miss you and cheering you on to Eugene!
    Marcie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, easy ride tomorrow, looked up the distance on google, your only 1 hr 13 min away from Eugene.

    Take care, from az looks like Mt. Hood to me.

    ReplyDelete