Rain, rain, go away ... (June 13, 2009)

One of the interesting things about long distance riding is that you can pretty much see what the weather is going to do to you ... and there really isn't a whole lot you can do about it.

Today made it three days in-a-row that I have had the joy of riding in the rain. Yesterday, for four hours and thirteen minutes of four hours and eighteen minutes of riding, there was no rain. But for five minutes in Pocatello, there was such a heavy downpour that I could barely see twenty feet in front of me. Today, I got hit by about thirty minutes of rain as I was finishing up the ride into Burley, ID. I am not sure, but I think the word "Idaho" really means, "Feels like an Arizona January day." Temperatures have been running in the 50s and low 60s. I finish up the rides and immediately put on a sweatshirt, woolen socks and long pants ... I look around and see others in shorts and t-shirts. Yeah, well, at least I am warm, even if it is obvious I am from a warmer climate. Never thought I would say this, but I sure could go for a few 100 degree days.

Other than the rain episodes, this really is a terrific area. Most of the trails used by the pioneers who traveled to the West Coast, in the 1840s and 1850's, came through this area. Lots of history was made in this part of the country. Wonder if those pioneers complained about the rain?

Due to the cold and the rain, I have opted to spend more nights in motels than in campgrounds. The challenge presented to me is that just prior to opening the doors to the rooms of these $35 to $40 a night motels, one is filled with fear of what the condition of the room is going to be. For a guy who is used to La Quinta-esque hotels (thanks to my former employer), I find this to be a real challenge. Some of these places do not understand the concept of "non-smoking" rooms.

Today, I enjoyed two seperate conversations with two fellow cyclists. The first was with a 76 year-old gentleman who lives in the American Falls area. He rides an average of 40 miles a day, and is planning on a tour of Yellowstone Park with friends in August of this year. He provided me with quite a bit of information about the area ... was a fun conversation. The second conversation was with a young father (with two pre-teen boys), who had done extensive bike touring in his college days. The highlight of his trips was a ride from Ft. Collins, CO, all the way to Fairbanks. He, and his sons, were riding through one of the State Parks west of American Falls.

The riding continues, with rain projected for another three or four days, but I am still enjoying this adventure. Hope I stay dry today ...

No comments:

Post a Comment