Will Ferrell ... (June 1, 2009)


As I mentioned to my brother last week, some of these long climbs remind me of Will Ferrell movies … they are extremely painful, but you know that at some point they will end. Today was a Will Farrell movie marathon.
Although today’s ride was fairly short (38 miles), it closed out with a 14 mile climb, with an elevation gain from approximately 4800 feet to 7921 feet. Average speed for the day was 7.7 mph. I’m cooked!
If it were not for the spectacular views there would be no reason for this area to exist, as far as I am concerned. I am spending the night in Jacob Lake, AZ. Jacob Lake is at the junction of 89A and the road to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. It is quite beautiful … pine trees, yellow flowers, and lots of naturally growing grass. But the most striking view was about 3 miles up the climb, looking back at the Vermilion Cliffs, and the plateau from which the easterly portion of the Grand Canyon is cut. At that point I was only half cooked, but I did not think to take a picture. I am confident my little “point and shoot” digital camera would not have captured the beauty. This area, called the Arizona Strip, is captivating in it’s beauty and it’s lack of human occupation … wide open spaces to say the least.
Talking with a couple, from England, at the view point mentioned above. They were planning on driving to Las Vegas today. Made me realize the difference in “time/distance” thinking between travel by car or by bicycle. It may sound elitist, but I somewhat feel sad for the car travelers, it looks as though they are not really seeing what is to be seen.
I was thinking today, “I wonder what the news of the past several days is?” Oh well, it will all be waiting for me at some point.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Randy~
    Honestly, you should be a comedy writer~ great stories...love the "corn pad" story~NO'B

    ReplyDelete