But it's a dry wind ... (June 15, 2009)

Finally, a dry day. No rain other than the three drops that I counted hitting me near Glenn's Ferry. What joy!

Today's ride, from Jerome to Mountain Home, was a long ride ... 74 miles. The first 30 miles were a joy ... dry, flat and no wind (no wind is second only to a tailwind on the "wind impact factors whilst riding a bike"). I was sailing along, with my shadow I might add, probably averaging somewhere around 16 mph. Ah, it would be a great day for riding.

Did I mention I was heading to a town named "Mountain Home"? A smarter person than I would deduce that if a town is called "Mountain Home", then it's elevation is probably higher than surrounding areas.

The last forty miles, or so, were impacted by a steady series of climbs and strong headwinds. This combination of riding factors teaches one to be patient and accepting of the factors presented. As I mentioned above, today's ride was a long day: six and a half hours actual riding time; eight hours total travel time ... stopping for eats, pictures and a flat. Getting back to the lessons learned riding into the climbs/headwinds ... and being so noble ... it is most discouraging to see that only 3 miles remain in the ride, yet you are only doing 7 mph ... most discouraging. As I said, long day! Tomorrow only 44 miles into Boise, so should be an easier day ... and the weather seems to be improving.

I must apologize to Twin Falls regarding my comparison to Ajo. I think my positive mindset had diminished to the point of being mean-spirited due to the four consecutive rain days. Reflecting back on the vistas around Twin Falls, I think the proper comparison would be Eloy.

I think I should also say something positive about "wind" after my disparaging comments regarding headwinds. Because of the constant "high winds" in this area, there are a great number of the gigantic wind generators scattered around the area. If there is a more elegantly designed structure introduced to the landscape in the past 10 years, I have not seen it. These structures, with three giant blades (think Mercedes hood ornament) spinning atop the slender support column, would be elegant enough. Add the bright white color of these structures and place them against the vivid darker colors of the mountains beyond ... ah, eye candy for those who enjoy structures.

Speaking of "bright white", I have come to understand that there are three things that bring joy into my life on this adventure ... coffee, WiFi, and bright white clean porcelain. What can I say, I am a city boy.

The joy in riding should return tomorrow ... Oregon is only two days away.

1 comment:

  1. Hey City Boy,

    Coffee, WiFi and white clean porcelain would be my short list, so I guess I'm a City Girl. Boise today? Oregon tomorrow? Go, Randy!!!

    Stay dry, stay safe, keep updating.

    Take good care,
    Marcie

    ReplyDelete