Easy Schmeezzie ... (June 18, 2009)

Ontario to Fairwell Bend State Park ... I was expecting an easy day doing only about 25 miles. Easy stuff.

Surprise, there are three or four massive climbs between Ontario and the state park. Plus a slight headwind ... no rain, though. What I had projected as an easy restfull day on the bike turned out to be quite a hard day, short though it was.
After arriving at Fairwell Bend State Park, I was reminded of one of the items Linda Matson had included on her "tour packing list" ... insect repellent! The mosquitoes had a feast, to say the least. The area around the lake/park, while quite barren, is quite beautiful especially at sunset.
This park got it's name, "Fairwell Bend" as it was the last camp the pioneers had prior to heading overland to the Columbia River. The wagon trains had followed the Snake River up to this point. I wonder if the pioneers remembered the insect repellent.
Oregon State Parks have special rates ($4 versus $15) for hikers/bikers, as well as a designated area away from the RV camping areas. So there I was over in an isolated area, all by myself. I should say that I did get a chance to talk with the RV folks as the "RV dump station" is adjacent to the hiker/biker area. Very pleasant ... the conversations, not the odors.
I did find out from one of the RV'ers that had I taken Route 201, instead of 84, I would have had a very nice scenic flat ride along the Snake River.
Live and learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment