Bright White ... (June 26, 2009)


Today’s ride was fairly easy … 40 miles of fairly flat road between Prineville and Sisters.

The City of Redmond is about half way between Prineville and Sisters, and provided me with one of the best sandwiches I have had for some time. A little sandwich shop in the downtown area includes raspberry mustard and pumpkin seeds in their sandwiches. The name of the shop is “Auntie Em’s”. What the shop has to do with the Wizard of Oz, I have no idea. I also should say that Redmond is indeed a city … 25,000 people … in Central Oregon, this is a huge number of people.

While the ride was easy, other than the scenery, it was quite uneventful. However … a word about the scenery.

Being a desert boy, I am unaccustomed to massive peaks covered with snow … particularly in June. Sure, I have experienced Camelback Mountain on those rare occasions when Phoenix gets snow, but I have to say that these mountains are huge and the peaks are covered with bright white snow … and are quite beautiful. My words cannot properly convey the awe of seeing Mt. Hood glistening in the morning sun. What an incredible, spectacularly beautiful site. See, my words don’t succeed.

Sisters, OR reminds me a lot of the Flagstaff area … lots of green, lots of pine trees, and quite comfortable weather. Also, lots of traffic passing through town.

I have insect repellent now … but there are no mosquitoes!

1 comment:

  1. I forget your Oregon destination before deciding about the cross-country trip (which I'm all for you doing!). Eugene? The coast? Thanks for the latest updates...disregard my phone call. When it had been a few days, my antennae went up. So happy for you and this awesome experience!

    ReplyDelete