Is this Idaho? ... (June 19, 2009)


Just when I thought I was in for some warm weather, it was deja Idaho, all over again.

When I left Fairwell Bend State Park, it was nice ... a little breezy maybe, but nice. The weather quickly changed as a cold front came roaring through Eastern Oregon. There are some spectacular downhill runs in the early stages of the ride to Baker City. With the headwind, I was streaking my way down these hills at 7 mph!!! I had figured on a relatively easy 50 mile ride; the weather gods had a differing opinion.

After about 10 miles of this devastating headwind, the rain started ... and it did not let-up for about 25 miles. The wind did soften about 8 miles into the rain phase.

For anyone reading this who may have a similar "lack of attention to detail" as I, may I explain the difference between "water-proof" and "water-resistant" materials. Water-resistant is synonymous with "water-conductive", or more clearly stated "not water-proof". My rain pants are water-proof; my rain jacket is not. When the rain stopped, the wetness of my long-sleeve jersey provided little warmth until the sun came out.

The last 15 to 20 miles were better and more enjoyable. Matter of fact, the last 10 miles were pretty much downhill (no headwind this time).

Baker City is a pretty town, with historic downtown and surrounding residential areas. This weekend, the area is awash in bicycles as they are holding the Elkhorn Classic Bicycle races. The Classic consists of four stage races ... two road races, one time-trial and one criterium. Lots and lots of very nice racing road bikes.

I plan on taking a couple of days off to watch the racing, then head across central Oregon.

Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment