Finding a rhythm ... (June 4, 2009)


Three more days have passed, and I feel as though I am finding a very comfortable rhythm ... a rhythm in the daily "camp breakdown", a rhythm in the riding, and a rhythm in eating. I am feeling much more comfortable about this whole adventure.

Tuesday's ride was partially fun, and partially alot of work. Leaving Jacob Lake, there is a tremendous downhill run into Fredonia (Fredonia is an Irish word for "the wind does blow, but not at your back). The downhill was payback for the 14 mile climb the previous day. Heading north out of Fredonia, I entered Kanab,Utah. This whole area is a geoligist's dream. Once again my "C" student background allowed me to utter such gems as "Look at that rock!"Oh yes, the hard work mentioned earlier was a very serious climb between Kanab and Mt. Carmel Junction. Fortunately, following that climb was a very exhilarating downhill run. The RV/Campground at Mt. Carmel Junction is associated with the Best Western Hotel, which has a pool and jacuzzi ... very nice indeed.

This section of Utah is just amazingly beautiful. There are rivers that actually have water running in them. The mountains are a variety of colors, and there are the most visually stunning meadows (horses, cattle, bison, green grass, yellow flowers (weeds) and the previosly mentioned rivers).

In Kanab I met a fellow bike-tourer that I had been told about back in Cameron. Albert, a 62 year-old guy from the Netherlands, is doing a tour of National Parks in Arizona, Utah, Wyoming and north to Banff/Jasper, then over to Vancouver, British Columbia. Albert first did this ride 35 years ago, and has toured extensively throughout Europe and the U.S. Interesting fellow. We crossed paths several times in the next two days, but he headed off to Bryce Canyon, so I do not know if I will be seeing again.

Not alot happened on Wednesday, just one serious climb. Spent the night in Panguitch ... a real town, as opposed to the majority of the places noted on the map (which are little more than a gas station). Panguitch is a town of maybe 2,ooo people, and the downtown area is being redeveloped. Looks to be a nice place to live.

Today's ride was a dream. Instead of taking a complete "non-riding" rest day, I have decided to just do a short ride (20 - 25 miles) at an easy pace. Today's ride was 28 miles ... almost all of which was downhill, and ... are you ready ... a strong wind at my back. Hooooooooray, a biker's dream. Tonight I am camping at an RV/campground in Circleville. This place is the nicest park I have seen so far. It is a very good evening.

Backing away from my previous post where I attacked people in cars ... I have decided that if a person is doing an extended road trip, it would probably be very nice to be in a small RV. You would not be sleeping on the ground, you would not be hauling suitcases into hotels every night, and your butt would be on a very comfortable seat/chair, as opposed to a few square inches of bicycle saddle.

As stated in an earlier post ... life is good

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh Panquitch...Irish for ????? and Kanab! I have a great story about Kanab~did you happen to see Parry's Lodge??? Great Motel! NO'B

    ReplyDelete