Rain or Shine ... (June 11, 2009)


Mostly rain ... and very little shine. I think I saw my shadow three or four times today, but I saw/felt about 20 miles of rain. Fortunately, the rain was in the early parts of today's ride from Tremonton, UT to Downey, ID.

Even in the current overcast weather, this part of the country needs to be seen to be believed. I have not seen such deep, rich shades of green since seeing southwestern Ireland back in the mid-90's. The area of Idaho where I am today (south of Pocatello) is made up of massive mountains and wide, wide, wide valleys. With the sun breaking through the clouds, patches of green are highlighted; which, when combined with patches of yellow flowers (weeds), a beautiful landscape results.

Given the vistas enjoyed today, I must confess that I abandoned the peaceful and serene back roads and rode I-15. The weather reports predicted rain (they got that one right!), so I decided to take the most direct route available and rode the interstate. Ah, the joy of having a semi-truck go buzzing by me and being drenched by the road-water spray of the passing truck.

Had the joy of sharing a table and conversation with a fellow cyclist/runner when I stopped for lunch today. The young guy is a geologist who is currently doing some geological surveys in Idaho/Utah, but lives in the Washington D.C. area. It was so nice to have a conversation about bikes, touring and running events. He, Rob, is running a marathon this coming weekend, then flying back to D.C. He has set a goal of running a marathon in all 50 states (Idaho will be 27th state), and also plans on doing the Tempe Ironman event next fall ... and people think I am crazy!

Meteorologists are predicting rain through Wednesday of next week, but I will continue to push on. I am hoping to get over to the Portland area around the 22nd of June. Bill Sievers, a friend from Tucson, is starting a cross-country ride from Astoria, OR on June 22, and I am hoping we can meet-up somewhere in the St. Helen's/Portland area.

Other than doing a whole lot of pedalling, I am not sure I am getting much accomplished ... but in a very strange way I am feeling very satisfied.

2 comments:

  1. Great work Padre, may seem like you've been riding in the rain most of the time...but you've already covered a crazy distance in a short period of time. Just imagine how much more rewarding it will be to ride in the nice sunshine. This rainy part is testing your will to press on...
    you're an inspiration to everyone trying to break out of their comfort bubble. Take care, and ride the wet line!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Randy,
    I have been following your blog. It is awesome you are doing this trip. I hope one day I can just take off and do the same, still have a few more years of work. Having done a little touring...days like the 11th is what lets you tell stories and I appreciate you sharing with us. Touring pushes me to be in the present at most times. I can make plans or have some idea of what I will do tomorrow or the day after but for the most it is an unknown. At the end of the day I might feel tired and sore but also fulfilled because I propelled myself from point A to point B, enjoyed and appreciated my surroundings and hopefully met interesting characters along the way.
    Looking forward more postings!

    ReplyDelete