Rest Day ... ahhh (June 22, 2010)


Takin' the day off. I've been riding since June 1 ... three weeks of hills, passes, rain, snow ( only 20 minutes or so, but never-the-less ... snow in June!!) and cold. Feels good to take the day off and just relax.

Yesterday we rode from Newport, WA to Sandpoint, ID ... 36 miles of moderate climbing and the usual rain and cooler weather. Today the sun has actually penetrated the gray cloud cover a few times, and there must be less depth to the cloud cover because the general brightness is illuminating the adjacent lake and mountains to a greater degree. Or maybe my spirits have improved due to the lack of pressure pushing on my butt by the bike's saddle.

Anyway, doing some of those things that free time allows ... laundry, browsing in a bookstore, casually eating lunch in a nice restaurant, and taking care of the ever present financial concerns.

Sandpoint sits on the Pend Oreille (pon-da-ray) Lake ... quite a large lake with 111 miles of shoreline and a depth of 1,158 feet. Quite a pretty area ... can only imagine how pretty it would be if the clouds disappeared. I was told the other day that Pond Oreille means "ear lobe" in French ... decency precludes me to discuss "Tetons".

Tomorrow, Tom and I head eastward. The other three fellow riders (Sheryl, Phillip and John) headed back to Seattle this morning. Sorry to see them leave. Tom is planning on riding up into Glacier National Park (I'm not), so if the passes in the Park are open, Tom and I will be heading different directions next weekend. Tom is a great traveling companion, so I will be saddened if we head different directions.

Another two weeks and I will be meeting up with Phoenix-area friend Rich Torkington in Williston, ND. Rich and I will be riding south through North and South Dakota along the Missouri River, intending to reach Sioux City, IA in time to participate in the RAGBRAI insanity. It will be good to see Rich's smiling face.

Rest days are good.

3 comments:

  1. Randy, congratulations on a very well-earned day off. Can't wait to meet up in Williston. Could you please make arrangements for a few dozen consecutive dry days about then?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Randy,
    You deserve a rest day. Say hello to Rich for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Randy...enjoy the rest...take a nap

    ReplyDelete