Change in Plans (June 26, 2010)


What a terrific day!

Prior to leaving Kalispell, I used the "Bicycle Directions" setting of Google Maps, and queried how to get to West Glacier Village. My plan was to ride to the Village in time to watch the U.S./Ghana World Cup match, then head south to Essex. The directions provided by Google put me into some amazingly serene and beautiful farming areas. The 35 mile ride, from Kalispell to West Glacier Village, was a pure joy, and I made it to a sports bar in time to watch the match (so sad ...).

After the game ended, I headed out toward Essex, which skirts to the south of Glacier National Park. Over the past week and a half that I rode with Tom, he had been speaking of the "Highway to the Sun", and I had heard others speak of it in glowing terms as well. Due to my lack of attention to detail, I thought that if you rode the "Highway to the Sun", you then rode into Canada. Now, I have nothing against Canada, I just was not interested in going there at this juncture. So, while heading to Essex, I stopped and took a look at the map ... low-and-behold, I could do the ride and still stay on schedule, heading eastward.

I then did a u-turn, and headed into Glacier National Park. Stopped for some information, then found a campsite 16 miles up the road, which left a 16 mile climb to Logan Pass for the next day. Met-up with two other cyclist in the campground and enjoyed their company.

Beautiful country, but as usual, a little on the cool side ... plus there are lots of bears ... sleep tight if you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment