Out of the Woods (June 12, 2010)


I feel quite the seafaring traveler these days.

After the 32 mile ride from Tacoma to Bremerton, then the 50 miles to Port Townsend, I am feeling quite like a traveler of the waterways. Yesterday, I rode the ferry from Port Orchard to Bremerton, then today I will be on the ferry from Port Townsend to Keystone (on Whidbey Island). Still have not suffered through any sea-sickness.

The ride from Tacoma to Bremerton was a very hard ride. In the first mile I had to go up a very steep street (think the car-chase on the San Francisco streets in the movie Bullet). I ended up pushing the bike up this hill ... first time in all of my travels that I had to get off and push. Later on, I was riding a nice bike path only to be confronted by a "trail closed" sign. Managed to navigate this closure after a somewhat tense moment. The rest of the day consisted of a lot of short climbs and too quick downhills. Yesterday's ride to Port Townsend was equally as "up/down", which can wear a person down in a hurry. The highpoint of yesterday's ride was that the sun actually broke through the seemingly ever present cloud cover for the last hour of the ride.

As I prepare to pack-up and get over to the ferry landing, there is not a cloud in the sky ... should be a wonderful day riding in the warmth.

Hope to catch some of the USA/England soccer match today.

Feeling good.

1 comment:

  1. My small American flag was dwarfed by gigantic England flags at the party. What is this nonsense about a 'draw'? Why can't someone win and someone lose?

    ReplyDelete