But it is a Dry Pass (June 16, 2010)


Another day, another Pass to climb. Today's ride included riding up and over Loup Loup Pass ... approximately 2400' of climbing in 7.5 miles. The nice thing about today's climb, as compared with yesterday's climbs, was that there was no rain/snow up at the pass. Dry road surface on most of the way down (14 miles or so) allowed for a very fast descent ... 36 mph max!

The rest of the day's 60 mile ride from Mazama to Omak was somewhat unexciting. Rain on and off, and reasonably nice scenery ... but the constant overcast leaves a grayness that diminishes the greenness. The flora has transitioned from thick wooded forest to grass-covered rolling hills. Rode past a vast cherry orchard just west of Okanogan.

There was one moment of "excitement" as I approached Okanogan. As I was plodding along (legs tired at this point), I heard the "boom" of two cars colliding about 300 yards up the road. I stopped, along with some others, to assist with traffic control and such. Fortunately, no one was injured. I spoke with the driver of the car that caused the accident (according to her). She said she has been working long hours and fell asleep at the wheel. This I found quite disconcerting as she had passed me about 10 seconds before hitting the other car. Yikes!

Will be heading off tomorrow toward another climb, this time over Wauconda Pass ... a 24 mile/3300' climb. Oh boy. Another day of gray and wet.

The statue figures are in a small city park in Whisp, WA. I did not see a plaque explaining topic or artist ... I just found the art interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment