Glacier National Park (June 27, 2010)


If you have not been, you need to go!

Got up early this morning to start the 16 mile climb to Logan Pass ... about 3,000 feet of climbing. So as not to endanger cyclist, they prohibit bikes on this road between 11:00 AM and 4:00 PM. Me thinks it is not the safety of the cyclists as much as it is the inconvenience for the cars ... don't want to slow these folks down in their quest to see the Park from the temperature-controlled confines of their vehicles. Sorry for the sour-grapes, but the restricting of bikes just pisses me off.

Back to the ride ... simply amazing, is all I can say. Pure beauty of nature. The climb is not overly difficult, just persistently present ... 2 hours and 45 minutes of 4 mph climbing. Sure felt good to get to the top, and the ride down the other side was exhilarating, to say the least. No attempt will be made to try to describe the scenery; suffice it to say it is astonishingly beautiful. Met three other cyclist at the Pass, so was able to share the "victory" moment.

Finished the day's ride in Browning, MT, after a total of 68 miles of riding.

I became aware of a very strange, to me, geological transition after leaving the Park. Coming out of the Park at St. Mary, I took a right-hand turn and hit a 4 mile climb. At the top of the climb, I stopped and took a look back at the Rocky Mountains of Glacier National Park. I then turned 180 degrees to look out at the Great Plains (flat level horizon). Kind of amazing and found myself thinking about what the early pioneers must have thought after traveling in the relatively flat terrain for so long, only to see the Rocky Mountains.

So, I have passed over multiple Passes in the Cascades and Rocky Mountains ... and now to the flats of the Plains.

Hope the winds are out of the West!

4 comments:

  1. Great pic at Logan's Pass! Looks like you've got a great tan going there - I'm glad to see you are finding time to hit the tanning salons along the route.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Logan was still avalanching when we got there and had to take the lower pass to Browning and on south to Depuyr where we had a wonderful night dancing in the schoolhouse with the locals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, cool post. I'd like to write like this too - taking time and real hard work to make a great article... but I put things off too much and never seem to get started. Thanks though. zero entry fee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting?I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style. Thanks a million and please keep up the effective work. tuscany pizza

    ReplyDelete