Calm After the Storm (June 29, 2012)

The weather gods have relented … four days of brutal wind-related riding is now a thing of the past.  All is well with the world (for now).

After having been beaten almost senseless by the wind, the rest day in West Yellowstone was most warranted … and most appreciated.  We did the tourist think (IMAX, museums, etc.) and the chore things (clean and lube chain, do laundry, pay a visit to the ATM, reconcile financial accounts) and the resting thing.  A most productive day topped off by a nice Italian dinner and a DQ ice cream cone.  Ice cream is being consumed in quantities most shocking.

Yesterday’s ride of 58 miles from West Yellowstone to Grant Village Campground was pure joy.  Beautifully calm warm day of riding … the common statement about riding through Yellowstone Park being “very dangerous” did not hold true for us.  The first half of the day took us to Old Faithful (again doing the tourist thing).  Pretty impressive show of the power of nature … also impressive was the quality of the food we consumed … one of us finished off with ice cream … me, I had a giant cookie and (more) coffee.  Hard to believe I am losing weight.

I should note that the day did not start out as a real happy-go-lucky day for me.  First the young man taking breakfast orders would not allow me to substitute hash browns for the bacon (“It says no substitutes right there on the menu, sir.”)  Turns out the young man did not realize I had yet to have my first cup of coffee.  I made my amends, and all ended well (he did not charge us for coffee). 

The next confrontation occurred at the entry gate into the Park.  Being an old guy who carries a “National Parks Senior Pass”, I (according to the rules as I understand them) and two guests are able to enter a National Park at no charge.  I presented my card and was allowed free entry … then the Ranger said that Kim would need to pay.  When I asked about “… and two guests …” he stated that that only applies if the two guests are in a vehicle with the card holder.  My response was immediate and did not fall into the ranks of showing respect for a man in a uniform.  Anyway, he let her enter at no cost … probably just to get my ass down the road.  I still think he was not correct, but it matters little at this stage.

Anyway, back to the riding.  The afternoon’s ride on to Grant Village was spectacular.  It was a wonderful day of riding.  Met back up with Roger and Frank, whom we had not seen in several days.

Today’s ride to Hatchet USFS Campground (59 miles) was again a magnificent day.  Weather, although on the warm side this afternoon, was most agreeable.  Exiting Yellowstone Park and entering the Grand Teton National Park took us through such scenic beauty that one almost stops appreciating what is seen.  That held true until rounding a curve and being overpowered by the view of the Grand Teton mountain range on the far side of a massive lake.  Plain and simple … awe inspiring . I have been on the road now for a little over a month, and have pedaled the bike through some truly beautiful country in Oregon, Idaho, Montana and now Wyoming … but the Grand Teton range takes the trophy.

Life is good.  I realized at one point yesterday that I was completely at peace.  What an amazing experience … a “gift” is what Kim called it, and I tend to agree.  I am not a religious man, but …

So tomorrow we head to Dubois, WY … another 50 + mile day.  However we will be confronted with an approximately 3,000 foot climb over Togwatee Pass.  At 9658’, it will be the tallest pass I will have traversed (assuming I make it) on a bike.  Should be a moment to savor.

If you (the reader) are a cyclist, get you and your bike up here and experience what is offered to those who travel slowly.  If you (the reader) are not a cyclist, then come up here anyway. 

Pictures taken by my pocket-digital camera or by my iPhone can not capture what is seen by the eye … ‘tis a shame because I wish I could adequately share what I have seen over the past two days.

As I say, life is good.






2 comments:

  1. I agree. That is one of the most beautiful places. I hope to cycle it one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wyoming is such a dramatic state...fond memories of moving cattle not far from where you were...to -45 degrees in the window (without wind) and miles of sage brush...glad you got to see the best first!

    ReplyDelete