Long-ass Day (June 11, 2012)


The question was, "Do I want to have a long day or a long night?" I opted for a long day.

Two days ago, I left the campground near Mount Vernon and rode the 7 miles to John Day, OR. Frank and Roger had left the campground earlier, and we were to meet at Austin Junction later that day at one of two campgrounds.

Austin Junction's elevation is approximately 1400' higher than Mount Vernon ... it was around 39 degrees upon waking in Mount Vernon. I had reports of snow in Austin Junction and I reasoned that the temperature in Austin Junction would be down around freezing come night time.

So the question arose, did I want to spend a long night camping/freezing in Austin Junction, or stop in John Day, then ride the 80+ miles to Baker City. Really not much of a question ... my decision was an easy one.

The ride to Baker City included traversing three passes which required determination, but provided tremendous downhill runs. The forested areas up in these higher elevations reminded me of Flagstaff, except for the fact that the forest floors were covered with bright green grass ... looked much like a gigantic golf course (with some serious trees to shoot around). The weather was very nice. For most of the ride the skies were clear of clouds (and therefore, clear of rain).

For 70 of the 80 mile ride I was a happy rider ... last 10 miles or so was into a strong headwind and on a very sore ass. I was most grateful to arrive in Baker City. Today we are taking a rest day, and plan on heading downtown to take care of some shopping needs.

I have put in around 775 miles so far, and am pleased to announce that I feel no ill-effects from yesterday's long ride. Guess my "enhanced couch training method" is a viable plan.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Randy! Just wanted to say hi and that we are thinking about you out there, pushing the pedals, getting cold, hot, rained on, etc. The photos are beautiful though - I think the beauty must outweigh the hardships or you wouldn't do it! Keep on truckin' We are having our Monday night dinner at the club tonight and will make a toast to you!
    Peg and Pete

    ReplyDelete