Extra Miles into Corvallis (June 1, 2012)

Not a real exciting day of riding, but warmer so that's a good thing. I did manage, through my seemingly timeless ability to not pay attention, to end up with just over 68 miles, versus the usual 54 miles from Grand Ronde to Corvallis. Sad thing is that if I had just looked at my map ...

The high point of the day had to be riding on a bike path that ran parallel to Hwy 99W for about 10 miles. Most enjoyable. 'Tis a shame that there are not more of these paths as the paths greatly reduce the stress factor. Friends who have toured in Northern Europe said there are many, many such paths for cyclist. As I say, most enjoyable.

Other than that ... not much to say about the day's ride. Frank and Andrew did catch up to us at the Benton County Fairground RV Park. We had to do some talking ... the camp host wanted $21 per tent! Unjust to say the least ... we got them down to $26 for a site and then we zero lot lined our tents (think condos). Today's ride takes us to Eugene. Here's a surprise ... it is overcast!!

A word of warning to some of you who live in Arizona. A number of people (two) have indicated that they wish to "live vicariously" via this journal. I may be wrong, but I believe the Arizona State Legislature enacted, and the Governor signed, a law making "living vicariously" illegal. I seem to recall that at the time only one legislator had heard of the word "vicarious", but did not know the meaning of the word. However this Preacher was pretty sure it is was immoral (he was heard to mumble something about "What's next, bestiality?") ... anyway, you may want to check the newly enacted laws prior to "living vicariously".

(If you have ever wondered if touring cyclist have too much time and think about odd topics ... I offer up the previous paragraph.)

Anyway, it is on to Eugene.

2 comments:

  1. Oh no....hadn't heard about "living vicariously" being illegal in AZ. Hopefully, if I do it in the comfort of my home I won't get arrested.

    Looking forward to reading about your summer exploits. I'm not doing much cycling this summer so will hungrily follow your blog.

    Sal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advice on vicarianism. It is very likely illegal in Kansas, if you go through there.

    If your mind is wandering this far this early, I can't wait until later in the summer.

    ReplyDelete