January??? (June 19, 2012)


Years ago there was a movie by the name of Endless Summer. It is my assumption that the screen writer was not from the Idaho/Montana area. Man, this cold wet weather just seems to follow us as we head east.

Today is a rest day in Missoula, MT. Overcast with light drizzle from time-to-time ... mid 50s. Longing for some of that desert heat.

The previous three days of riding were through some of the most scenic areas I have witnessed on this summer's (winter's???) trek. Shortly after leaving Grangeville, we descended 4 to 5 miles of extremely steep winding thrilling fun exhilarating fantastic down hill. Little-to-no traffic ... most excellent. Did I mention fun? The rest of the day's 51 miles into Lowell, ID was along various rivers which were stunning ... stunning to the point that after a while you just forget about stopping to take pictures. It seemed that every turn of the road presented another Kodak moment. Camped in the Three Rivers RV Resort ... guess what ... rain.

The next day's ride into Powell presented 65 miles of slight up hill riding with intermittent rain. Once again, most beautiful. Once again, wet and cold (at times). The day's ride ended at the Lochsa Lodge, which has been remodeled since my last visit four summers ago. Very nice lodge/restaurant, beautiful surroundings, and no electricity upon waking. Being the road warriors/pioneers that we are (as well as coffee addicts), I broke out the camp stove and Starbucks instant coffee. The two couples immediately adjacent to my cabin were equally addicted, so we shared a wonderful morning chat session fueled by coffee and love of traveling on two wheels. They are headed to Alaska on motorcycles. While our days consist of 50 to 60 miles, they think in terms of 350 to 400 miles per day.

Finally the extreme hardship of no electricity was halted, and a wonderful breakfast consumed. Awaiting after breakfast, right out of the chute, was a 13 mile climb up and over Lolo Pass. While the climb is not too extreme, the return of wet and cold made the ride less than enjoyable. The positive is that the rest of the day's 58 mile ride was primarily down hill ... slight tailwind ... cruising at around 20 mph ... aahhhh.

Traveling with Frank, Roger and Kim as been a joy. Frank, being the strong rider that he is, usually pulls ahead quickly. Roger, being the Roger that he is, rides along at an easy pace observing any and all things viewable. While Kim and I ride at a fairly similar pace, it not uncommon for her to slowly pull ahead. But we all seem to end up in the same area for lunch and/or night's gatherings. Oh, and yesterday Andrew (who withdrew from the road for a week or so back in Mount Vernon) has rejoined the group. Good times await us all.

So today has been restive and somewhat busy taking care of various errands. My day has also been filled with trepidation of the coming week's ride to Yellowstone. Even though I have gained a very good level of fitness, the three or four giant climbs are messing with my confidence. I sincerely hope that by this time next week I will be thinking that the passes were not as difficult as I feared.

I am also hoping I will be cursing summer heat.

3 comments:

  1. Your experiencing Kodak moments at every turn sounds enchanting. Great progress so far - say hi to Frank and Roger for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh sure, I read this missive after just riding home from work at 5pm. 45 minute ride and its 111 degrees out. So hot my eyeballs got heat burned.

    We leave Thursday to spend a few days in Encino CA so my Ron can ride around in circles at the velodrome there for a few days. The hope of ocean breezes swept me home.

    Safe travels.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Randy!
    I think you have this whole west to east backwards...next year start in the east and ride west!

    I am jealous of the scenery (albeit pretty good in Oregon). You will be glad for cold and wet in Yellowstone, as the horse flies and mosquitoes love warm weather as well!

    Happy trials (US Track and Field) and trails!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete