Uninspired (May 6, 2015)

I read recently that one's view of the world is controlled by one's point of view.  I think there is truth in that adage.

My point of view of late has been one of visual boredom.   I left the green alleys of the wooded areas and headed to the Gulf Coast of Florida thinking I would be tantalized by the white beaches and blue Gulf waters.  But what I actually saw were huge beach houses built on stilts and twenty-to-thirty story condominiums lining the shore line ... and lots of traffic.

So I headed back to the  Southern Tier (green alley) route ... less traffic but also less visual stimulation.

Since the scenery was not stimulating new thoughts, I began thinking about the "sameness" of many areas of the U.S.  I do not have the ability to identify, or rather locate where I am, by identifying types of trees (which line the roads).  Road construction, for the most part, is uniform throughout the country.  So, when riding these green alleys, one gets the feeling they could be anywhere in the U.S. with similar weather and elevation conditions.

Towns ... depending on the size and economic strength, one sees the same national brands.   Very small villages will most likely have a Dollar General store and a gas station/convenience store (with a Subway tucked in the corner of the convenience store).  From there, as the village becomes a town, then a city, the usual national brands, with pre-designed site-adapted structures show-up ... Waffle House, Exxon/Shell/Chevron, stand-alone Subway stores, Circle K, McDonald's, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, CVS/Walgreens drug stores, regional grocery stores, and then the national hotel chains ... then the big one ... Walmart.  Interestingly, one of the long time public dislikes of Walmart has been the negative impact of a Walmart on locally owned businesses.  Makes me wonder why all of these other companies have not received similar treatment.  Surprisingly, haven't seen any Starbucks for many a week.

Structures ... residential and commercial structures designed and built in the past fifteen to twenty years have also become quite uniform. Personal fashion and style has also become nationalized rather than regionalized.

Sameness ... everywhere.   Thankfully there are a few wayward folks, such as the individual who conceived the bay-front residence in the adjacent photo.

On a positive note, I had the good fortune to have enjoyed two lunches with friends over the past three days.  Three days ago I shared a table and conversation with Kim's mother and step-father.  They live southeast of Pensacola, and drove up to Crestview to join me for lunch ... during my travels with Kim, Kim's mother and I had many a conversation via email.  Was a joy to actually meet them.

Yesterday, Claire and Bob Rogers pulled up behind me in Chattahoochee ... they are on their way to visit family in Georgia and West Virgina.  We had been communicating as to our locations, and finally got together.  Very timely as they headed north from Tallahassee yesterday afternoon, and I head east today.  Can't (over) say how very nice it is to sit and share time with long-time friends, other than to say it is wonderful!

So,  continuing east to the Atlantic ... about six or seven more days.  Hoping my point of view will allow me to be inspired.

5 comments:

  1. Now you need to take your tours overseas. you have realized the truth about america and its oneness, its time you experience the oneness of walmart in europe. haha. hope your travels are more visually stimulating in the coming weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a difference an "r" can make. Having just re-read what I posted this morning, I want to clarify ... I had lunch with friends, not fiends

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting that there is so much visual "sameness" and yet the speech is so different (Texas drawl vs Louisiana Cajun speak, etc.) Do we in the west have a "twang" to the southerner ear? Weather in the gulf look somewhat ominous with storm Ana brewing. Wouldn't want you to miss hurricane season!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Sky -- maybe it's time for a tour in another country. Then again, depending on the country, you'll likely see a Starbucks on every corner.

    Here's hoping for visual stimulation! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Randy! Well, your photos are visually stimulating to us - So thanks for that! I am constantly amazed at your progress across the U.S. We went to San Diego last weekend and learned to play shuffleboard. Love it! The week before that I went to Durango with two friends. Now it is home for the entire summer. We miss you here in Tucson but know you are gathering stories to tell at the club next year. Love the lighthouse! Peg and Pete

    ReplyDelete