I Prefer the Bike (May 16, 2015)

Alternative  modes of travel offer positives and negatives.  Being on this bike ride, I naturally do not have the option of getting in a car and driving (other than renting, but the cost to rent and drive hundreds of miles is too great).  I wanted to get from Savannah, GA to Richmond, VA faster than my bike could do, so I opted for Amtrak.

Everything about the process of ticketing and shipping the bike went well ... the negative part is the actual travel on the train.  The train left the station at 8:30 PM and arrived in Richmond at 4:30 AM, which meant there was eight hours of attempting to sleep in the "coach class".  I will say that the seats are wider and roomier than airline coach seating ... but my-oh-my, are they uncomfortable when one tries to get some sleep.   While indeed the seats are roomier, I should mention that my seat-mate, whom I am sure is called "Tiny" by his friends, had a definite impact on my space.

So, after a most uncomfortable night, I de-trained at 4:30 AM, repacked everything, and waited for sun-up.  When I asked the Amtrak folks if they had a map of Richmond, their looks were one of amazement ... "Maps, why would we have maps ... the trains just follow the tracks."  Not having a map, I then relied on Google Maps (bicycle beta version).  I think Google gets paid for the amount of turns and obscure routes laid out.  I spent a great amount of time and energy trying to get to Highway 5 (New Market Road), which would lead me to Williamsburg.

After a lot of stopping and turning, searching and yearning for a way out, I happened on to the group in the adjacent photo.  Yesterday morning was Richmond's "Bike to Work Day" celebration.  Looked a lot like Tucson's Living Streets Alliance .... as a matter of fact, the event is put on by the local bike/pedestrian advocacy group named Bikeable Richmond.  I had a wonderful chat and some very tasty coffee with these folks.  All of the built-up stress from trying to sleep on the train and finding my way per Google melted away.  To top it all off, Sean (he in the yellow jersey) rode with me out to Highway 5.  Ah, the biking gods were looking out for me.

Had a good ride eastward on to Williamsburg, meeting two solo riders who are heading west.  This area is quite beautiful and has just a tad bit of Revolutionary and Civil War history.  I tried to stop at all of the road-side signs pointing out historical names and events, but I would probably still be out there had I not cruised by some of them.  Interesting area.  I think a person could spend quite a bit of time just researching and visiting the various points of interest.

Today I will be riding the 12 miles over to Yorktown (Atlantic Ocean once again), try to find a new tire and then head west tomorrow.  Feels good.

Feels good to know I won't be taking a train anytime soon ... viva le bike!!

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful read! You are quite the entertaining writer, friend! It sounds as though this next leg of your trip is starting off well (minus the sleep next to "Tiny"). Happy riding!

    ReplyDelete