It's Hard Out Here (May 18, 2015)

It's a hard life out here on  the road ... heat, humidity, bugs, traffic, primitive campsites ... it is hard.

Then things change.  I spent this past evening in the Willis Methodist Church facilities in Glendale, VA.  Pastor Mark and Juanita Osby are so welcoming to cycling tourist; takes the stress of all of the negatives of touring out of one's mind.

Upon arriving at the church, I called Juanita and she met me to open the doors.  She gave me a quick tour of the facilities ... area to spread out sleeping bag, restroom, shower (with towels, I might add), wifi, and most amazingly ... a full kitchen.  She opened the refrigerator and said, "Help yourself to anything in the refrigerator and pantry".  My eyes locked onto the stack of pies!!!

After settling in, I cooked up a batch of spaghetti, all the while savoring the use of the full kitchen ... the meal was excellent.  But the slice of apple pie ... oh, my.

Looking at the sign-in books that cyclist use to express their thanks, Willis Methodist has been welcoming we travelers since June of 2005.  Since the  Trans America (TransAm) route has been active since 1976, I would suggest that they have been hosting for much longer.

The history of the areas around Williamsburg and Richmond is over whelming.  Just about a half mile from this church is the site Malvern Hill, one of many sites of the Seven Days Battle between the Union and Confederate armies.  The combined losses were (approximately) 1,000 killed, 3,500 injured and 2,000 missing or captured.  The conditions must have been horrific ... I wonder how the generals were able to motivate the soldiers to march great distances and then fight.  As I say, horrific ... and this was just one of many, many battles fought in and around Richmond.

Compared to what the soldiers experienced, I guess it really isn't too hard out here.

2 comments:

  1. Did you say PIE? How many days can a cyclist stay at Willis Methodist? How many pies-worth-of-days are in the fridge? I'll be right over!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do they ship? Ha! Great to know you are viviendo la vida loca!

    ReplyDelete