My, Oh My ... (May 26, 2015)

My, oh my, oh my ... this part of the country sure is wrinkled!  In all of my various bike rides over the past seven summers I have never experienced the amount of short, painful, repetitive climbing that is required to move forward, as I have experienced in the last week or so ... and it looks to continue for the coming weeks.

My, oh my.  The routes suggested on the Adventure Cycling maps take cyclist off into some very extreme back roads loaded with short ups-and-downs.  Having had my fill of such climbs, I have opted to ride the main highways (not Interstates) so as to  minimize the number and the steepness of climbs required.  Even so, the climbing is relentless, tiring ... and quite often demoralizing.

There are bright spots, tho.  The other night I was most fortunate to spend the evening with Wendy and Steve Richards at their farm outside of Lexington, VA.  Tucson friends Claire and Bob Rogers are also visiting.  Wendy and Steve (couple on the left in the above picture) have been living on the farm for thirty years and have built a beautiful calming oasis.  It was so good to spend time talking, laughing and relaxing with friends.

Time to start loading up the bike and heading out on the road for another day of climbing.  Even though the days are difficult, the scenery is beyond beautiful ... my, oh my.

4 comments:

  1. Just caught up on your blog. Amazing trip Mr. Garmon!
    Where are you headed now? When do you return? We are headed towards the 100 degree days this week so you should come home soon to enjoy the heat! Peg

    ReplyDelete
  2. My, oh my indeed! Those rollers would roll me over pretty quickly. Glad the scenery is able to pull you through. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do we really know that you aren't heading back for more pie at the church? Ha! Great blog my friend (no matter what those SHS English grades were)! you have a gift for writing! NOB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There ain't enough apple pie in this world for me to ascend/descend those same hills!
      I was actually thinking today how nice it would be to be riding the flat lands of Kansas faced by the fabled midwestern headwinds. Such is the folly of this endeaver.

      Delete