It's Hard out Here: #2 (May 18, 2015)

Then maybe it is not so hard.

Had a very nice ride from the Willis Methodist Church to Ashland, VA ... 38 miles of back roads filled with history, reasonably nice weather and relatively courteous traffic (I'm looking  at you red Volvo!!!). 

Found a bike shop in Ashland, VA that had what I needed to keep riding (tire and brake pads), so am feeling good.

Because there are predictions of extreme thunderstorms tonight, I opted to motel it tonight.  Ergo, the nice room in the adjacent photo ... no need to expand the photo to feel the humanity.  The Civil War was horrific ... my life is good.

In a couple of days I will be in the Charlottesville area, home to my favorite structure ... Thomas Jefferson's Monticello residence.  It is a model of design perfection, all the while with a few overt imperfections that make the structure perfect.  During my working career, I kept three pictures near my desk ... two out-dated photos of my sons, and a picture of Monticello.  I am not sure if there is a more perfect/flawed structure to be found than Monticello.  And as for my sons ... perfect, with a few imperfections.

Sometimes I just have to smile ... life is so good.

2 comments:

  1. I thought the photo accompanying this entry was Monticello! Dang, those are quite the accommodations. You really know how to live it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Randy, we're in VA as well, Roanoke. We'll be visiting friends in Lexington who live very nearly on the bike route for the next ten days. Linda Matson and Mark Doumas have each stayed with Steve and Wendy and I'll bet they'd welcome you as well (and we'd get to see you again.) Will text you soon.

    ReplyDelete