Hinterlands (May 7, 2014)

Who knew  ... this route is not that far away from L.A. or San Diego ... rural does not even begin to describe the "otherwordly-ness" of the burgs through which I have been riding.  Three days into this ride ... three days of being out-of-touch with what we of the "big city" world refers to as news.  Camping, which brings me little joy, isolates one from the usual day-to-day.  Inclines, which tends to numb the soul, seems to be ever present.

By way of explanation, this current ride will take me from the San Diego area up through the Sierra and the Cascade mountain ranges to northwest Washington State ... approximately two months.  If all goes well, I plan on ending the ride in Portland, OR ... Portland holds an amazing blues festival 4th of July weekend.

Tonight I am in a mountain-top community by the name of Idyllwild ... as I topped out the final climb of the day, I entered the clouds.  Wet and cold ... motel time to say the list (speaking of the least, wifi signal is very much "the least").

Tomorrow I will be crossing I-10 at Banning ... hopefully the wifi signals will be strong enough to include a picture or two.  I am wishing I were in Tucson.

1 comment:

  1. That's a change to a some-what plan. What happened to Florida? I'm going to be in Vancouver, WA the beginning of July. When you get closer let me know your timing and maybe we can bike a few miles together.

    ReplyDelete