Peaceful (Sept. 27, 2013)

The riding the past few days has been along the Erie Barge Canal (current navigable route) or along the original Erie Canal.  Both routes provide a care-free way to end a bike tour.  Riding to the hotel in Syracuse was not so peaceful, but that part of the ride was short and direct.

About eight weeks ago, Kim and I left Minneapolis heading east.  We rode through some amazingly beautiful areas ... areas that I had not experienced before.  Having lived almost my entire life in the desert areas of Arizona, constant green is not something I am used to.  Naturally occurring lakes are not something I am used to.  200 year-old structures and villages (without stop lights) I am not used to.  Highly repetitive steep ups-and-downs ... etc., etc., etc.  Many new experiences; many new memories.  Several new insights into the history of North America have been absorbed.

And so this bike tour is now over.  All that is left is to ship bike and panniers back to Tucson, and fly home tomorrow.  Back to Tucson.  Back to the place that is home.  Back to normal living again.  Back to friends.  Back ...

I am ready to be home.  The touring this summer has been good, but it does get to be tiresome sometimes not having a routine, not having familiar vistas, not being able to drive.  I love touring, but I also love Tucson.

Have I thought of any future touring plans?  Nope, don't have anything in mind at the moment.  May even take next summer off from touring and do something else.  I am lucky in that I have several friends who will be touring, so I can follow their travels via their journals (as I am following Sandy and Mark Doumas on their cross-country tour).  It is definitely easier to read about long climbs and 35 degree mornings than it is to experience it in real life.  Safe travels, Sandy and Mark.

So a true feeling of peacefulness has come over me.  I am happy with the touring completed, happy with having experienced new places, happy to be coming home.

No comments:

Post a Comment