Ahhhh ... (May 11, 2014)

10:00 A.M. ... 40 degrees ... 20 mph winds with a High Wind Advisory of gusts up to 55 mph.  Was 34 degrees when I awoke this morning ... however since I decided to motel it last night, I was at a comfortable 68 degrees.  I knew of today's probable weather last night, which was the reason I tossed and turned all night long, waking for good around 4:00 A.M.  Fully meaning to ride today, I stewed and fretted about heading out all morning.

Ahhhh ... decided what I need is a day of rest, so have booked the room for another night ... nothing fancy, but indeed, a room.  So here I am, lounging on a soft bed (at room temperature) in Big Bear Lake, CA.  Good place to take a rest day.  Laundromat work was done yesterday as was browsing around the downtown tourist area.  (It does not seem to matter what town I am in, all of these tourist shopping areas seem to be the same ... t-shirts, ice cream parlors, nicknack/junk stores, over-priced restaurants, pseudo art galleries, and of course the local wood craftsman that can make you your own personal name plaque to hang out by your mail box.).

Today I plan to keep my feet up and do some reading, later (when it warms up a bit), do some bike maintenance, and generally take it easy.

The past six days of riding have not been easy ... over 12,000 feet of elevation gain.  And the down hills have not been all that enjoyable or carefree (certainly not car-free).  The ride up from Banning was a bit similar to riding up Mt. Lemmon ...  'cepting this ride was pedaling a 90# bike as opposed to a 20# bike.  Beautiful country, nice temperatures for climbing.  I topped out at Onyx Pass (adjacent picture) ... approximately 5500 feet of climbing since leaving the valley floor.  Downhill into Big Bear Lake from Onyx Pass was nice, but there was a strong headwind, so it was not up to the level of joyful.

Camped at Barton Flats USFS Campground Thursday evening.  The campsite hosts were a couple who winter in East Mesa, and had grown up in the Phoenix area, so we talked of things Arizona.  The wife was commenting that she found the number of cyclist riding up the mountain to be a problem, especially when they rode two abreast (there are no stop signs, so that usual anti-biker criticism was not offered).  I suggested that there is a very easy solution to the problem, and that if they were to ban all motorized vehicles, then the conflict would disappear.  The word "gullible" came to mind when I noted her reaction.

Yes, the ride has been difficult, but as in the past, I find great joy in the experience.   Seeing new places (I now have great respect for the mountains on both sides of I-10 as one drives into the L.A. area), and chatting with new faces.  So tomorrow I head north, soon to drop back down into desert country (ahhhh, warmth), then head up to Yosemite and Lake Tahoe.  From best I can tell all of the passes are open.  Looking forward to the adventure that awaits.

But for today ... ahhhh.

1 comment:

  1. Enjoy the well deserved day-off... the weather forecast there makes it sound like a good day to be inside! I loved your May 8th comment about "not being a real bicycle tourist" ;-)

    ReplyDelete