Physically Beat (May 8, 2014)

I am feelin' it ... "it" being the feeling of having taken a serious ass whoopin'.

Four days into the ride and I am taking a little time today to try and recover.  Total elevation gain yesterday and this morning was just under 5000' ... 5000' at 4 mph.  First thing this morning I was faced by a 1000' climb, but I persisted knowing that once I reached the summit I would be able to enjoy a 22 mile, 5000' downhill glide ... thought it was going to be pure joy.

What I actually "enjoyed" was a windy (as in curves), windy (as in gusting head and side winds) and rough road surface downhill.  22 miles of riding the brakes.  22 miles of exhausting and morally depressing downhill.

I reached Banning around noon ... thought about trying to rest-up at one of the campgrounds in this area and promptly opted for a cheap motel.  The wind is still cold and gusting.  Funny how, when in Tucson, I rue the heat ... how I wish I were ruing the heat.  Guess I am not a real touring cyclist since I am doing all of this moaning and groaning.

Tomorrow I will head up toward Big Bear Lake ... 6400' of climbing.  Think  I will make this climb a two-day effort.

Ouch.

No comments:

Post a Comment