There They Go (May 25, 2014)

There they go ... Alex and Sarah are heading off to Fish Camp, CA for a few days.  We parted ways this morning and I rode to Oakhurst.

Having met Sarah and Alex back in Buckeye Flats Campground last Tuesday (today is Sunday) I have been truly enjoying their companionship.  Riding and camping with them has made the difference between "I think I may stop this drudgery in Lake Tahoe", to "Hell yes!!  Let's get on to the Northwest!!"  While we do not actually ride together all that much (their riding usually starts as I am easing into my second cup of coffee), we do manage to meet in the small towns along the day's route ... then again at the predetermined campground.

The three of us are pretty much on the same page politically and also "life outlook" wise.  Our derogatory observations of the general camping population are mutually acknowledged.  There is great comfort in having confirmation that my thoughts are always completely correct.  When you are hauling a minimum of gear around on a bike and camp adjacent to a couple with an RV, two shade tents, comfortable chairs, a generator, a big screen TV (and requisite DISH satellite disc) ... and a weed whacker ... well how can you not make a derogatory comment, eh?

The magic of the road continues to amaze me.  Yesterday we intended to end the day's ride at the Forks Campground along side Bass Lake.  Being the Saturday of Memorial Day Weekend, we anticipated that there might be a problem if the campgrounds were all full.  Upon reaching the campground and talking with the campground host, we were informed that we would need to head another two miles down the road to the reservations office to see if there were any cancellations (Jack, the host, was pretty sure all the sites at all of the campgrounds along the lake were full).  "Two miles" is easy (four miles round-trip) in a car ... not so much after a day of riding.  We asked Jack if he might be able to reach the office via his radio.  He did, and it was confirmed that there were no campsites available.

Enter the magic ... while Jack was attempting to communicate with the office, our savior arrived.  The head honcho-ette of the many campgrounds in this area (Michelle) has her 5th wheel trailer in the site next to Jack's site ... she apparently heard the radio transmissions and came walking over to our group.  Once she figured out the situation, she offered the area around her trailer for our tents ... and the picnic table ... and the shower in her trailer.  The magic comes in as she could have very easily said we were out of luck, so keep moving.  Michelle and Sarah immediately bonded ... smiles all around.  In a show of appreciation of her generosity, we asked her to join us at a nearby restaurant for dinner.  The conversation was extremely lively ... she interested in who we are and what we are doing and us interested in the travails she endures being in charge of such a large operation.   And being that this day was really the first "big camper occupancy day", Michelle had her hands full getting ready and coping with the events of the day.  That she has such a positive and vibrant attitude was a joy to share.

Unexpected joys come out of making friends with such a person ... prior to heading to dinner, I  noticed a guitar in her trailer.  As we walked back from dinner, I asked her what types of music she plays ... among playing the music of several groups, she enjoys playing Beatles music.  This morning, while sipping my coffee and slowly (per usual) gathering my gear, Paul McCartney's version of "Michelle" played constantly in my mind.  Pure joy.

There is often much humor to be found in tragedy ... yesterday afternoon a lady stopped at Jack's site and asked if he had seen her small dog.  The dog (Lucky) had slipped the leash and disappeared into the woods.  For the following three or four hours the dog's owner could be heard beseeching Lucky to "come here boy ... here, Lucky, come on boy."  While recognizing the sadness that the owners must have been experiencing, it got to be somewhat amusing after a while.  The good news is that, indeed, Lucky did eventually "come here".

Anyway, Sarah and Alex headed off to Fish Camp to spend a couple of days with some friends, and will be meeting up with Sarah's brother in Yosemite for a few days.  As per my usual, I am not sure how long I will spend in Yosemite Park, but we spoke of trying to meet-up again in Lake Tahoe.  I sincerely do hope we will be getting back together as it makes all the difference in the world to travel with people that you truly enjoy.  This new friendship has spurred me to think of all of the interesting and enjoyable people I have met out on the road over the past five years.  Again, pure joy.

I have set a rule for myself ... I do not read the journals of riding companions as I think it might skew the relationship.  Both Sarah and Alex are blogging.  Sarah: honoringmycompass; Alex: reroutedheart.  I consider myself to be very lucky in many ways.  Having met up with Sarah and Alex is at the top of the "lucky" list.

I am currently lounging on a very comfortable bed, in a nice hotel, having taken a wonderful hot shower ... wonder what is on the TV tonight?  I am indeed lucky. And joyful.

3 comments:

  1. Am glad you are feeling better about your route. Looking forward to more posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yikes Mr. Garmon - I am afraid I would be the person in the RV with the TV going that you are making the derogatory comment about - geez - Mrs. Jorgensen

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your posts - you are a poet at heart Mr. Garmon

    ReplyDelete