Whole lot of sittin' ... (July 29, 2011)

Lot of miles ... not much else to speak of.

I am now in Hot Springs, South Dakota. Since leaving Tucson last Sunday, I have traveled through Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming and now South Dakota. Campgrounds, hotels, grocery stores, convenience stores, visitor centers, and (of course) gas stations. I stop along the roadside whenever there is a "point of interest", which typically points out when some military group or rancher did something of importance back in 1840, or 1860, or whenever. I usually take the opportunity of taking a leak at these stops as well.

At this point I am not greatly enamored of this style of traveling ... very few opportunities to stop and talk with locals. I am just another driver instead of a long-distance cyclist. Buy your stuff and move on ... there are many more like you coming down the road.

I am planning to do a short ride here in Southwestern South Dakota ... heading up toward Mount Rushmore tomorrow on a "rails-to-trails" path. Hope this brings some enthusiasm into my psyche ... as of this moment, not so much. Weather is beautiful and the terrain is pleasing (similar to Williams, AZ).

High-point of the trip so far was at Three Rivers Petroglyphs campground, just north of Almagordo, NM. My nephew Rich, and his girlfriend, came up for a very enjoyable chat. Later that evening, feeling a wee bit stuffy in the back of my camper shell, I opened up the tail gate and fell asleep enjoying a wonderful breeze and (seemingly) no bugs.

I now have a large number of small scabs attesting to the fact that there were bugs ... and the intense scratching of the bite-sights hurts so good.

1 comment:

  1. Well, bugs are better than bears Randy! I can't believe you are already so far north! Maybe you should hide your truck and ride your bike up to the convenience stores, campgrounds, etc. Funny how people talk to you more on your bike! or you should wear a boot on one foot - that is also a conversation starter! Keep on truckin' :)
    And thanks for the birthday wish! peg

    ReplyDelete