At Rest (July 9, 2011)

No more Pacific Coast ride for me ... just too much traffic and too much urban noise and congestion. I have decided to halt this ride in Los Angeles, and forgo the last 130 miles to San Diego.

For the most part, the 500+ miles between San Francisco and L.A. were aesthetically pleasing, and the adjacent vehicular traffic bearable. There were many, many scenic views to be had, as well as some spectacular up-hills and down-hills. The route took me through such wonderful areas as Half Moon Bay, Santa Cruz, the Monterey/Carmel Peninsula, Big Sur and Morro Bay. There are some very nice campgrounds and some not-so-nice campgrounds.

One very vivid memory is the ride between Santa Cruz and Monterey. The route took me through miles and miles of agriculture ... primarily strawberry fields. The aroma of fresh strawberries is very sweet and enjoyable; the visual of artichoke plants/fields astounding and amusing. One memory that will stay with me for a long time is the sight of the workers picking strawberries ... how a person can work all day, bent over or squatting, is beyond me. Looking at the fresh strawberries in Trader Joe's now has a new meaning for me (that's not to say I won't still buy strawberries).

As happened in my riding prior to San Francisco, I met some great fellow touring cyclist. There was a couple (my age) from The Netherlands who had been riding for the past five months, having started their trek in Florida; a couple (younger than I) on a five-day trek from San Francisco to Morro Bay. Also, much to my surprise and great pleasure, I reconnected with a couple of riders I had camped with prior to San Francisco. Great joy in reconnecting.

I am very thankful for my short stay with Rod Paragas in Santa Barbara. Rod's parents and my parents were best friends when I was a kid in Creston, Iowa (back in the 1950s), prior to my family moving to Arizona. Rod and my older brother, Bob, were best friends. Other than a quick re-union in Havasupai Canyon back in the mid 1970s, I had not spent any time with Rod since childhood. The stay on his boat, in the Santa Barbara Marina, and the low-key conversations, were a true joy.

I arrived in Venice Beach two days ago, and have been enjoying a very relaxed rest ... my brother and my nephew (Bob and Sky) have been vacationing in Bob's friend's house (about a half a block from the beach). Reading, napping and watching the Tour de France have been the primary activities. Wonderful way to finish a 1500+ mile 40 day ride.

My thought on riding the coast is that it is an incredibly beautiful ride, but quite hard ... lots of climbing and (sometimes) very little in the way of bike lanes. I think if I were to do the ride again, I would start in Astoria, Oregon, and finish up the ride in San Luis Obispo, California. While Santa Barbara is beautiful, the ride from S.L.O. to Santa Barbara is difficult and, for the most part, unattractive.

So tomorrow I head back to Arizona and prepare for the second phase of this summer's travels. I am glad I rode the Pacific Coast ... the memories will stay with me for a long time (my mind willing).

Not sure I am ready for the Arizona heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment