New Means of Travel (July 23, 2011)

So much for my solitary, slow pedal through the U.S. Time to speed things up a little and see more of the country than possible via my bike.

After a very enjoyable stay in Venice, CA, and an even more enjoyable couple of weeks seeing friends and family in Arizona, I am heading out for a new style (to me) adventure. I purchased a camper shell for my pick-up that will allow me to haul my touring bike in relative security and also provide me with a (hopefully) weather tight sleeping enclosure ... kind of a mini-R.V.

I am feeling a little strange embarking on travel in this mode as I feel I am abandoning my much loved bike touring. While the intent is to drive to various locations, then go bike touring, I feel as though I am not staying true to my bike. Oh well, the bike is an inanimate object, so I guess it will mean little to the bike.

I plan on heading out of Tucson tomorrow, and head to Silver City, NM. After a day or two of local Silver City riding, I will then head over to eastern New Mexico and then north through Colorado and Wyoming. When I was four or five years old, our family took a vacation trip to Mount Rushmore (of which I remember little), so I think I will make a stop in South Dakota ... possibly do a multi-day bike tour around the Mount Rushmore/Badlands area. After this, I will then head to Lake Michigan for a multi-week bike tour around the upper Great Lakes area.

Lots of thinking and map reading of late ... action starts tomorrow.

Hope the price of gas takes a serious dive.

No comments:

Post a Comment