Many More Miles (August 3, 2011)

I have now traveled many miles ... very few on the bike.

Currently I am just south of Green Bay, Wisc., trying to figure out where and how to start my Lake Michigan/Lake Superior bike ride. My idea of leaving my truck at a Michigan State Campground is not happening ... seems the program of leaving a vehicle at a campground for several weeks only applies to camper trailers and large RVs. The program is intended to encourage campers to use less fuel if intending to frequent the same campground. My needs do not qualify.

Since last posting, I have covered a lot of miles ... Wyoming, South Dakota, Michigan and now Wisconsin. Cruising I-90 at 60 miles an hour is tedious, but traveling at that speed increases the "miles per gallon" number, so at 60 I go ... much to the displeasure of faster drivers.

I spent a couple of wonderful days in and around the Mount Rushmore area. Got two 30 mile rides in and spent time at both Mount Rushmore and the Crazy Horse Memorial. No pun intended, but creating these sculptures is monumental. Starting with a mountain, the sculptures are created via blasting and air-hammering. I find it hard to believe the amount of man hours required ... the Crazy Horse work has been going on since 1947.

The bike riding was enjoyable ... on the second day's ride I took advantage of riding on the Mickleson Trail. This rails-to-trails path is 101 miles long, running along the west side of the park areas. I only rode a small segment, but riding without worrying about vehicles is wonderful. Felt good. The first day of riding I rode on the main road leading to Mount Rushmore. Of the thousands of people viewing the sculpture, I think I was the only one who arrived on a bike. Not bragging; merely an observation.

I was very fortunate to make a connection with Lisa and Marty Brandt in Sioux Falls, SD. Lisa and Marty had been in Oshkosh, Wisc at the annual air show gathering. It was so very nice to see familiar faces. The weather was horrid (very hot and very humid), so sharing their air conditioned trailer was greatly appreciated ... that and the fact that I managed to lock my keys in my truck precluded any attempt to sleep in the bed of my truck.

So here I am trying to figure out where to leave my truck ... no good solutions come to mind at the moment.

Looking forward to getting back on my bike.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Randy!
    Great to catch up via your blog! You can't out run the heat...you can always head this direction as it is a beautiful 75 degrees~
    Keep writing about riding...great stuff

    ReplyDelete