Stunningly Beautiful... (July 30, 2009)


Today's ride was 67 miles of riding along the stunningly beautiful Lochsa River ... I am happy to report that the water temperature allowed for several "not-fat dips" in the river.

A major part of the ride was dealing with road construction for the first 23 miles. The construction completed, to date, consisted of eliminating the shoulder (read "bike lane) for the full 23 miles. Fortunately, there was very light traffic, but the five areas restricted to one lane were a challenge. Again fortunately, the flagmen/women were very supportive of bicyclists, so these areas were not as risky as I had thought. I did welcome the return of the shoulder/bike lane like the return of an old friend.


Along the trail, I met a family heading east on a triple ... think "tandem bike built for three". Dorrie, Mike and son Gregory are on an extended bike trip, and plan to go to New Zealand in December of this year. They are from Northern California, and due to various economic turns, have completely liquidated/stored personal items ... the bike/panniers/trailer is now their "home". You can follow their adventure at http://www.tripleontour.blogspot.com/.


I was fortunate to spend an evening meal and morning breakfast with the family at a Lodge in Powell, ID. The conversation and demeanor was much more sane than the previous evening's meal. I have been invited to join the Williams in New Zealand ... therefore, I have established a fund-raising program to pickup the cost of first-class air fair (will consider business class). In-as-much-as accounting can be a chore, I am asking that one donor pickup the total cost.


I truly appreciate the friendship I experienced with this very interesting family. I hope we can get together again somewhere along the line.


The first 13 miles of the next leg of the ride is up ... up to Lola Pass. Should be fun.

2 comments:

  1. Randy - I rafted down the Lochsa a few years ago, what a great place. I'm sure the roar of the river was great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words Randy. We enjoyed your company too! Best of luck to you and happy travels. Some day our paths will cross again. Dorrie

    ReplyDelete