Rowdy Friends of Mine ... (July 29, 2009)


Talk about a swing in terrain ... Today's ride from Winchester to Lowell, ID, took me from sky-island pine forests, to wheat growing prairie, to hot desert, and then to river/canyon forests. Quite a lot of variety in this 79 mile day.


The part of the ride through the Camas Prairie areas was very enjoyable ... small rolling hills which reminded me a lot of the Iowa RAGBRIA ride. The "Cadillac-on-a-stick" sign caught my attention ... I was told that at one time the lights worked, the wheels spun, and the car was a bright pink. This piece of road-side sculpture promoted a gas station/grocery store out in the middle of nowhere.


The ride was good today, highlighted by two meals.


For lunch I stopped at a bakery/restaurant in Kamiah, ID. Please understand that Kamiah, ID brings to mind the beauty of Twin Falls, ID or Clarkston, WA. However, the building was beautifully restored, the sandwich was very, very tasty, and the background music was very soothing. I did not expect to come away from the place humming the traditional English ballad "Greensleeves". Sure beats getting a song such as Bobby Vintons' "Mr. Lonely" stuck in your head.


So now to my rowdy friends. I stopped at the Three Rivers Resort ("resort" may be an over statement) and set up camp. I was graciously invited to join a group of seven guys for dinner. This group of loosely-connected family members (brothers, nephews, sons, husbands of cousins, etc.) were from the Lewiston, ID area, and were heading out on an eight day wilderness hiking trip. I think the word to accurately describe this dinner (and I do not think I have ever used this word to describe a dinner) is "raucous". There was much laughter, stories and general mayhem. I am just sorry that Uncle Mike (R.I.P.) was unable to defend himself against the accusations of non-musical skills, and general lack of sanity. It was a great evening, and I thank the group for allowing me to join them for dinner ... I hope their trip went well.


As to the camping ... two overhead street lights ... I need not say more.



No comments:

Post a Comment