Quick Trip Home ... (August 14, 2009)


Due to a lot of different rationalized reasons, I am opting to take an alternative means of transportation to get back to Phoenix.

This morning I am in a small motel in a town called Preston, ID. I will be riding into Brigham City, UT today, then tomorrow, heading directly to the Salt Lake City Airport to rent a car and return to Phoenix via Las Vegas. What would take approximately two and a half weeks on my bike will take two days in a car.

The last three days have found me in a profound funk, just pedaling the bike to cover the miles. The joy and excitement of seeing new things is no longer a passenger on this voyage. Yesterday I stopped along the road for my usual "in ride" snack of banana, fig bars and water only to realize that I had stopped directly across the road for similar reasons about two months ago.

So, rather than slog along and not enjoy the experience, I am taking the express lane home.

I did meet some interesting riders the other day in Blackfoot, ID (north of Pocatello). Amaya Williams and Eric Schambion have been riding for over two years, and are part of an organization called World Biking. They have set a goal of riding 80,000 kilometers through 80 countries. The organization's mission is to provide bicycles to people in third world countries. For more information, go to www.worldbiking.info. Funny thing is that when I stopped and talked with them, they did not say anything about their ride ... we just discussed the day's rides.

Time to pack-up the bike and head south.

3 comments:

  1. Randy - sorry to hear things didn't work out quite as planned. I hope we can ride together soon in Tucson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caruso's in August, then? Ride/drive safe and hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say treat yourself...

    Get a full size rental, fully insured. Then proceed to beat the hell out of it...

    I say you've earned that right!

    ReplyDelete