Stable Horse ... (August 10, 2009)


Like a horse heading back to the stable, I am heading for Arizona.

Yesterday I rode the 73 miles from Ennis, MT to West Yellowstone, MT. Made for a long day as it was primarily uphill (1700' gradual elevation gain) and into a slight headwind. This part of the country is quite beautiful ... heading into the the Rocky Mountains. Of particular interest is Quake Lake. In 1959, there was a landslide caused by an earthquake that completely blocked off the Madison River. The Corp of Engineers had to quickly open a waterway through the landslide debris so as to avoid a catastrophic flood of areas downstream. This lake is proof that the earth is still evolving.

Changes in plan again ... I had planned on riding through Yellowstone Park, then head south either east or west of the Colorado Rocky Mountains. But like a stable horse, I am looking to get home as quickly as possible. So I am going to head down to Idaho Falls, then back through Central Utah.

My thought is that next summer I will re-attempt a cross-country ride, and do Yellowstone Park at that time. Next time I will start riding in Oregon, not Arizona.

Today's ride to Ashton, ID. will put total mileage right at 3000 miles ... not too shabby for a 60 year-old. Actually, as of tomorrow, a 61 year-old. Ouch.

Time to head south ... hope the wind is with me.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Randy! Your decision to ride to Arizona means we get to see you sooner rather than later, so selfishly I'm happy about that. Unselfishly, I'm glad you feel peace with your decision and I like the plan to go for it from Oregon next summer. Way. To. Go, my friend. 3000+++ miles is not too shabby for anyone at any age. In fact, it's quite impressive. We're sitting at our computers (emphasis on sitting) in awe. Ride safe and hope to see you soon after your return...I think a celebratory dinner at Caruso's is in order.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Randy, did you know that sometimes when the horse is REALLY anxious to get back to the stable . . . he takes a bus, train or plane? It's crazy but true . . . especially if he has been on a 3,000 mile trail ride. We want to join the celebratory dinner at Caruso's/ Peg

    ReplyDelete