Ride onward, oh Wise one … (June 11, 2022)

They say with age comes wisdom.  


Maybe yes.  Maybe no.  My current activity would suggest a very resounding “no” … I am currently in Sandpoint, ID, three days into a bike tour of the Northwest.


I flew into Spokane this past Tuesday and spent Wednesday unpacking/reassembling my bike and walking around the downtown area.  Can’t speak to the Spokane suburbs, but the downtown area is very interesting.  The Gonzaga and the Washington State/Spokane campuses are in this district.  So in addition to the area being the commercial center of Eastern Washington, there are many restaurants, bars, music venues and a wonderful bookstore.  There is also a very impressive City Park that highlights the Spokane River rapids and falls.  If I were thinking about someplace to spend the summer months rather than in Tucson (which I am not), this would be high on my list.


Anyway, back to my self-perceived lack of wisdom (or stupidity, as has been claimed by some). 


Over the past twelve years of touring, one of the things I had come to believe was that it is not a good idea to be too specific as to an itinerary for a coming ride.  However, I let my ego get involved and layed out to some friends a very impressive trip. Sandpoint, Selkirk Loop (Canada), Glacier National Park, Calgary, Banff, Jasper, etc., etc., etc.  Intensive research/deep thought has never been my strong point when it comes to planning a tour … just breakout the road maps and begin fantasizing.


While Tucson is enjoying dry 100+ degree days, this area is experiencing highs in the upper 60s/low 70s and a boat-load of rain.  For about 30 of yesterday’s 52 mile ride it rained … not downpours, but a mixture of a steady drizzle with occasional heavier rains.  After Thursday’s very enjoyable 24 mile ride along the Spokane River (photo above) to Post Falls, ID, yesterday’s ride was a real test.  


As originally planned, tomorrow I will be heading west to Newport, WA.  My plan was then to head north and ride the Selkirk Loop. The fifteen-day weather projections for the 280 mile Loop area calls for a steady supply of rain with highs varying from the mid 50s to the mid 70s (and the overnight lows get real ugly).  On top of this, it appears that Logan Pass, at the top of the Going to the Sun Highway in Glacier National Park, will not be open until early July. 


I am currently rethinking my path of travel and considering heading south from Newport.  Also, my (ain’t I amazin’) comment about staying out for three months is being strongly questioned by my 3:00 AM (tossing and turning) thoughts.


Any wisdom in this aged body?  We’ll see.






2 comments:

  1. Whatever you decide Randy, you’ve already made me a believer, “you da man”!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wise one, how awesome to hear you are cycle tour again. I'll be looking forward to each of your posts. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete