Later that same day … (June 22)


Another day, another revised plan!


Upon leaving The Dalles heading south to Maupin, I was confronted with an immediate three mile 6% climb.  Following were numerous mile long climbs which reduced my speed to a grinding 3 mph … which if you’ve ever experienced climbing with a fully loaded tour bike at 3 mph you will know the experience of trying to keep the bike on a straight path.


Anyway, 12 miles into the planned 40 mile ride I stopped in the small town of Dufur, and my legs were cooked (hell, my whole body was cooked).  In talking with a local, I was told the terrain of the remaining miles was the same as the previous 12 miles.


So I chose to turn tail and head back to The Dalles.  The really humorous (sad) thing is that upon heading back I discovered I had had a slight tailwind in the ride to Dufur.


So the new plan is to head west to Portland.


In the above photo, kind of hard to see, but in the middle of the yellow circle is a semi truck … that is where the road I was on leads and is typical of the constant up-and-down of that road to Maupin.  OUCH!

1 comment:

  1. It’s been said “the only constant in the universe is change “. I gotta feeling you’d attest to this Randy. Enjoying your writings! Pat

    ReplyDelete