A Mountain … (June 22)


This mountain should not be confused with Tucson’s “A” Mountain, the above photo is Mt. Hood.  

To put the size of Mt. Hood into perspective, the photo was taken about 55 miles east of the mountain.  Also, just to clarify, the river (that in this photo looks like a lake) is the Columbia River (not the Rillito at flood stage).


I don’t have much to offer in the way of grandiose verbiage describing the areas I have been riding of late.  This morning I am in The Dalles, OR, and will be heading to Bend for the next four days.  


On a side note, here is a explanation as to how the Columbia River Gorge was created.


Since leaving Mose’s Lake,WA, I spent the following days riding to Othello (28 miles), Kennewick (53 miles), then into Boardman, OR (45 miles), Arlington (27 miles) and finally The Dalles (50 miles).  The majority of these miles have been along Interstates.  I was dreading the 50 miles into The Dalles as I anticipated fighting a strong headwind … but glory be, almost no wind!  The high temperature today, as I head into the high desert area of Central Oregon, will be in the high 80s.


That’s the thing about bike touring … the weather is almost always a challenge.


After a short visit south of Bend with longtime friend Bill, I will be heading to Eugene, then Portland (probably by train), then flying home to Tucson on July 4.


Located between Bend and Eugene is my most favorite 21 miles of the 50,000 +/- miles I have toured.  The ride down the west side of McKenzie Pass is on a nicely paved, winding road passing through a lush green forest.  Most enjoyable.


In Eugene I will be visiting another long-friend, Nancy.  No doubt we will be making the daily walk to one of the finest ice cream parlors in the world (according to Nancy and also Former President Obama), Prince Puckler’s Ice Cream … and I agree.


When I get to Eugene I plan on donating my camping gear and my touring panniers to groups that may benefit.  I am through with doing self-contained touring.  If I do any more long distance rides, it will be put together by a tour company and they can carry my sh … er, uh, stuff. I have been doing these rides since the summer of 2009 … enough is enough.


While I marvel at the magnificence of Mt. Hood, I am looking forward to seeing the ever-so-not-so-marvelous “A” Mountain back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment