The Wind Doest Blow (April 4,2015)

The wind also doest suck.

Unbelievable ... night and day the wind blows ... night and day.  Doesn't matter to me this evening as I have opted for a motel room in Van Horn, TX ... let it blow.

Short story:  Last night I camped in the Sierra Blanca town park, and the only spot that I could find that was remotely protected from the wind was the stage area of the band shell ... nice but difficult to anchor the tent with stakes given the concrete floor.  The evening's inconvenience due to the wind was outweighed by the nearness to the railroad tracks ... actually by the noise of the 15 to 20 trains that came through town last night (horns were blared at each of the five roads crossing the tracks!).  Not much sleep last night, which makes this evening's enclosed motel room that much sweeter.

Side note to Peg Jorgensen:  While much of what I mention could be construed as whining, actually I am just offering up observations of occurrences inherent in bike touring.  There is much joy for the majority of the time while riding.  Besides, as was pointed out in Sandy and Mark Doumas's journal ...  real touring cyclist don't whine.

Having said that ... 34 miles into 18 to 20 mph headwinds all day today ... waaaaaaaa.

Still heading east.  The road sign in the adjacent pictures is 10 miles west of  Van Horn ... 510 miles west of Dallas ... it may be years before I exit Texas.

And the wins blows ...

3 comments:

  1. Randy,
    This is the third time I have tried to comment! Yikes. Anyway, as I have been trying to post, three friends and I spent some memorable times crossing Texas. (Yes, it goes on forever!) One breezy evening, we couldn't keep our tent in place, so we anchored the tent to the back of the bathrooms and quickly climbed into our bags. We were happy to be back on the road.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ewww...I feel your pain! Not only about the blowy/sucky wind, but also about that country-sized state that you're riding through. Sounds kinda familiar...sorta like doing a south-to-north ride through California. Have you ever done that ride? ;) That state goes on forever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, What a Excellent post. I really found this to much informatics. It is what i was searching for.I would like to suggest you that please keep sharing such type of info.Thanks Social Enterprise Buzz website

    ReplyDelete