Out of the Woods (April 24, 2015)

For the past several days of riding, the views have been pretty much limited to the paved road, 30' of cleared area on each side of the pavement and the tall barrier of trees.  Occasionally there were fields cleared for farming ... also clearings (scars) left by the logging industry.  The roads are primarily minor roads, which usually means a lack of pavement to the right of the white line ... also means true excitement when the logging trucks roar by.

I have been fairly loyal to the Southern Tier route, but have decided I have seen enough of the wooded areas of Louisiana.  I am now headed to the Gulf Coast, planning on viewing vast amounts of water east of New Orleans (and hopefully soft ocean breezes ... did I mention the constant 90%+ humidity??).

Today's revised route took me through some beautiful areas that were viewable due to the lack of tall trees crowding the roads.  Partly due to the fact that I failed my Draft physical back in 1968 (that and having lived in the desert for most of my life), I have never viewed rice paddies.  Today I rode past many, many, many flooded paddies, which in truth did not help to reduce the level of humidity.

Because of the dampness of the air, I just did not mind getting drenched by a thunder storm toward the end of today's ride ... I was already drenched ... it was the lightening that was a concern.  All in the day of a cycling tourist.

But I love all of this.  Particularly the motel at the end of the day rather than a tent in the woods.

3 comments:

  1. I had no idea there were race paddies in the US. I guess there's no need to travel to SE Asia to get one's rice paddy fix, eh?

    Good on you, cowboy, for veering off the path. What a nice change of pace it will be to see the Gulf!

    Keep pedaling, and keep posting. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "race paddies" ... is that an anti-Irish slur??

      Delete
  2. Haha! Just making sure you're still "with it" and that all this pedaling hasn't made you lose your wit. :)

    ReplyDelete