Looking for Positives (April 2, 2015)

On previous rides along coastal areas or northern routes, views of the landscapes often leaves one in awe of nature.  On this particular ride, I have to say that I am not seeing much "wow".  Other than the rides up and over the two major passes (Mule Creek and Emory), the desert terrain has been most blah.

After leaving Silver City four days ago, the overnights (and mileage) have been Hillsboro (56 miles), Arrey (23 miles), Las Cruces (57 miles) and El Paso (47 miles).  The ride to Hillsboro included the climb up and over Emory Pass, which proved to be a challenge ... 2,500 feet in 16 miles.  Starting in the heat of the high desert proved to be physically taxing.  By the time I reached the pass, the weather had changed to overcast, cold  and windy ... very windy (and not the wind that pushes from behind!).  Toward the end of the climb I called on my usual climbing-mantra which consists of various biblical and sexual references ... not something I would repeat in mixed company.

The 16 mile ride down to Hillsboro was pure joy.  Down-side of arriving was that other than a winery outlet, nothing was open in the way of food or drink.  Fortunately, there are those who drink-and-drive, as I was able to receive a cold beer from a young guy who stopped at the city park to relieve himself of previously consumed beer.  While I discourage the act of drinking-and-driving ... that beer was mighty tasty!

The ride from Hillsboro takes one east to the Rio Grande River, then southward paralleling I-25.  I stopped at the Arrey RV Park due to a perceived lack of camping opportunities further south toward  Hatch, NM, which was only another 20 miles or so.  This RV park was quite interesting in that the overall ambiance was that of a used tire store located in a small town such as Eloy.  While it served the purpose of an overnight camping spot, it had a certain level of grime in all facets.   Almost all of the semi-permanent residents were grizzled-looking guys who spent their daylight hours prospecting for gold.  From the looks of most of the RVs, I don't think their efforts have proved to be profitable.  Interesting and friendly folks to talk with, but just of a different breed.

If ever you have wondered where RVs and/or trailer homes go to die, come on over to this area.  

The following day I headed south to Las Cruces, which proved to be quite a boring (visually) trek.  Lots of green and red pepper fields and more barren/trimmed-back pecan trees than I have ever seen.  I mentioned earlier that I stopped at the Arrey RV Park because I did not see any camping facilities south of the park toward Hatch.  Much to my disappointment, upon entering Hatch from the north I saw a most wonderful (new) city park adjacent to a new Community Recreation Center.  Now it may be that they do not allow overnight camping, but most small towns do realizing that overnight campers spend money.

Anyway, finished the day's ride in Las Cruces and enjoyed the luxury of an inexpensive motel, then on to El Paso yesterday.  More agriculture and loads of pecan trees ... and wind.

One of the common reasons non-bike riders in Tucson give for not riding on the streets of Tucson is fear of the car and truck traffic.  Those folks should come over to El Paso ... at one point I stopped to check the back of my shirt to see if someone had surreptitiously attached a target.  Scarey, to say the least.

So today I head east into West Texas.  Looking at the maps it appears that there is very little in the way of services, so it should be interesting.  The past two days I have been told of two other touring cyclist just ahead of me by a half-hour or so ... hoping to catch up to them in the next day or two.

Catching up to them would be a definite positive. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Randy! Pete and I just caught up with your journey! Do you want us to come get you?? :-)
    Just joking but the cons (grimey trailer park, high hills, wind, target on the back are outweighing the pros (long downhill) for me so far! Hope you catch some other riders soon - keep on truckin' and keep on writin'
    Love from the Jorgs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on your riding and keep on writing, and take care of yourself.

    Luc

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember when you caught up to two other cyclists last summer. That was the beginning of a long'n'wonderful friendship.

    I also remember summit signs, with pieces of paper taped to them, and poetic messages gracing those pieces of paper...Sorta like in your photo above!!!!

    Aw, I miss you, kid! We made some special memories, didn't we?

    ReplyDelete