New Friends ... Old Friend (June 16, 2014)

I have said it quite often in my postings regarding this torturous, mountainous, climbinous (I made that one up) ride, that having met Sarah and Alex has made all of the difference between a not-so-great experience and a most enjoyable (discounting the climbing) adventure.

Having arranged to meet them and ride into Bend with them has made me extremely happy and grateful ... friends for life formed over a very short time.  Great people.

While they were going to a State Park beyond Bend, I was heading to a turnoff from the highway, about 20 miles south of Bend. that would lead me to my long time friend, Bill Burk.  When we reached Vandervert Road (I might add that Sarah had asked the name of the road to make sure I was not in my usual "day dream" mode and miss the turn), we stopped and hugged all around, said our good byes ... can't speak for them, but I pedaled away with a strange mixture of sadness (due to parting ways) and joy (from having met them).

After making the turn, I rode to Bill's new house ... and what an amazingly nice place it is.  Bill and I have been friends since the early 1970s, and as with such long time friends, there is much joy in reconnecting ... it seems like conversations start up where they left off previously.  Bill has been most gracious to allow me to stay with him for a few days of R&R, all the while giving me tours of the Bend area.  Bend is a place to come back to visit again.

I will be heading on up to Sisters, OR tomorrow, then on to Eugene and the Oregon Coast.  The stop here in Bend has been a rejuvenating time.  I have looked at possible routes for the coming weeks prior to getting to Portland on July 4 ... may even make it up to Seattle.

Making it to Seattle would allow me to get together with my new old friends Sarah and Alex once again.

Goes without saying ... friends make life good.

 

1 comment:

  1. I experienced that same thing -- a strange mixture of sadness and joy. Hope you are continuing to enjoy your adventure. I'm crossing all my fingers and toes that we'll ride together again soon. Miss you, dearest Randy! :)

    ReplyDelete