Massive (June 10, 2014)

Several days ago after exiting Lassen National Park, after having spent several weeks riding through beautiful forested areas, I was riding through an area that had recently been devastated by a forest fire.  The feeling was that I had passed from green to gray.  My thoughts were centered on how sudden beauty can change to drab ... was thinking how mundane the landscape had become.  After leaving Lassen National Park I felt I had experienced the ultimate in snow covered mountains.

For no particular reason, I glanced to the left and had my breath taken away by the shear size of Mt. Shasta ... a huge presence even though I was about 70 miles away.  Lassen Peak tops out at 10,457' ... Mt. Shasta at 14,179'.  Shasta is the "before" picture to Lassen's "after".  Lassen Peak, along with other adjacent peaks, is what remains of a massive volcano, called either Brokeoff Volcano or Mount Tehama, which erupted hundreds of thousands of years ago.  Looking at Mt. Shasta, I could only wonder what it would be like to experience the kind of devastation a similar eruption would create.

The next day I rode to the base of Mt. Shasta.  Unfortunately, there was a considerable amount of smoke in the air due to a forest fire somewhere upwind, so the mountain was somewhat blocked from view.  Experiencing the effects of viewing such beauty, not only of Mt. Shasta, but also of the forests of Northern California, one becomes most humble.

As mentioned in previous posts, I had experienced great joy in traveling with Sarah and Alex, so I became determined to catch up with them.  The 73 mile ride to Lassen was extremely tiring; the 84 mile ride to Mt. Shasta was almost debilitating.  But the 68 mile ride from Mt. Shasta to Ashland almost did me in.

Sarah had sent me a text indicating that they were in Ashland, and intended to take a rest day.  I headed out from Mt. Shasta feeling quite good and enjoying the first 20 miles or so of flat riding ... unheard of on this trip.  As I approached the first minor climb I noticed a slight headwind.  No problem, I had enough water to get me to Hornbrook where there was, according to my map, a restaurant where I could fill my water bottles and get some food into my system for the massive climb on I-5.  As I continued on the minor up and down climbs/descents, the wind got stronger and I got weaker (the past several hard days were catching up to me).  Finally I reached Hornbrook, ready for some food and the much needed refill of the water bottles ... too bad, so sad ... the restaurant had gone out of business and I did not see any stores along the route.  I figured that there might be a gas station at the interstate ... too bad, so sad.

So there I was, entering I-5 with about 13 miles of climbing (of the 20 miles remaining to get to Ashland) with very little water and no recently consumed food in my system ... and the wind was getting stronger.  To suggest that I was concerned would be an understatement.  I knew that if worst came to worse, I could always beg water or a ride from passing motorist.  After about 5 miles of climbing, I saw a liquor store on the other side of the interstate, but I had already passed the ramps to get to the store.  So there I went loping across both northbound and southbound lanes, plus scaling a barbwire fence, getting water, and returning across the obstacle course ... all the while thinking that maybe this is kind of crazy for a 65 year-old to be doing.

Not a lot of fun to be had on this day of riding ... other than when reaching the summit, I was ecstatic to see a sign regarding the impending downhill.  The usual sign (semi truck on a right triangle) was replaced by a very large sign with very large lettering warning drivers of the extremely steep and dangerous downhill.  The sign was not wrong, but where others may have felt fear, I felt unbridled joy.

I flew down that massive hill and found my way to the motel where Alex had booked a room.  I was exhausted and quickly found my way into my room, showered and met Alex for some chat time in comfortable chairs (as opposed to picnic tables).  I had caught up to them, my objective met ... but my body was pretty well destroyed.  I told Alex I would let them know in the morning if I would be riding out of town with them or taking a rest day here in Ashland.  Upon waking, I knew I was not heading out of town.

So I have taken a rest day here in Ashland, but have re-lost contact with Sarah and Alex.  Massive disappointment (not to be riding with them), but massive relief (body-wise).  I will be taking the rest of this trek in shorter sections.

I think my body thanks me ... massively.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Randy,
    I've really been enjoying your posts on this trip. Despite your best efforts to make the ride sound like a never-ending climb-fest, you are whetting my appetite for our next tour. (In September) Take it easy on that old frame of yours (I'm not talking about the bike) and enjoy the ride!

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Randy, Love the account of crossing I-5. After these long days of climbing, I would have gotten some hooch at that store, too. This ride sounds great! -Rich

    ReplyDelete