Leaving on a High (May 31, 2014)

Tioga Pass ... 9945'.  Highest pass I have crossed over in my many travels by bike.  As of that white line to my right, we left Yosemite National Park.

Today's ride was as "epic" of a ride as we have had of late.  Most of our recent days consisted of 20 mile (+/-) rides with 2000' climbs.  Today was just under 60 miles and probably a total of 5000' of climbing.  There are several in-park camping grounds in Yosemite between Crane Flats (where we camped last night) and Lee Vining  (where we are camping tonight), but they are all closed until June 6.  As it turned out, it was well worth the effort as the RV Park here is Lee Vining has all the luxuries a road traveler could want ... hot showers, laundry facilities, a grassy area to put up tints, wifi to satisfy my internet addiction, beer(s) and exceptionally shiny white porcelain.  Now if only they delivered hot coffee in the morn.

Included in today's ride were some very long uphill spins, some exhilarating downhills, some extraordinarily beautiful vistas, and some interesting conversations. I had the fortunate opportunity to chat with several backpackers and a couple of rock climbers.  I find great joy in listening to others extol the enjoyment they receive from their passions.  Although I must admit I am beyond baffled by those who choose to climb sheer vertical faces of cliffs such as El Capitan in Yosemite Valley.  Sheer craziness on a sheer cliff!!

The final ten miles of today's ride was a bit of sheer insanity.  From the Park exit (picture above) to Lee Vining there is a 3000' drop in elevation.  Six miles of that ten miles is at 8% ... and the road consists of a smooth surface and reasonably smooth corners.  Alex said he hit 50 mph; Sarah 46 mph.  All I know is my brakes were screaming at me by the time we reached the bottom.

So the tents have been placed, the body has been showered, clothes laundered, internet perused, beer(s) consumed ... now I am looking forward to enjoying the shiny white porcelain in the morning.

On to Lake Tahoe in a few days.


2 comments:

  1. Hey Randy...tell me you aren't still sleeping in that cushy bed!! I'll be in Tahoe on the 9th. Pedal fast and we can have dinner!! Seriously, it was great meeting you and the gang here at Bass Lake. I'll be following your blog to the northern border!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear from you Michelle ... still remembering your generosity allowing us to camp at your site. Guess you will be eating alone here in Tahoe as I am heading out of town today. Sarah and Alex are about a day ahead of me due to my stopping in Tahoe ... so sad.

    ReplyDelete