Chasing the Blues (June 28, 2014)

Ah, Oregon in June ... you have not failed me yet.  Over the past six summers, I have experienced rides in June in Oregon ... and without fail ... rain.

That fact leads me to think that maybe I am not the brightest light in the marquee, or that due to the joy of the rides (after the rains cease) causes me to forget how uncomfortable riding in the rain can be.  The joys expressed by Gene Kelly (whilst singing and dancing in the Paris rain) are not shared by me.

Three days of not enjoying sporadic rain riding north was enough for me.  Coming into Seaside, OR, one of the first things one sees is this blue Motel 6 sign. Having mentioned my dislike for riding in the rain, I should point out that one thing I like even less is purposely camping in the rain.  I had planned on riding an additional 16 miles to the Fort Stevens State Park campground.  Plans be damned ... make a hard right-hand turn into the Motel 6 and enjoy a hot shower and a warm room, then ride on to Fort Stevens on Friday.

Wake up Friday morning to a downpour ... check the weather predictions for the coming day ... extend the stay for another day.  Gray day in the weather leads to the blues in my mental outlook.  Not having a book that has captured my attention, and not being a person who can watch daytime TV crap, I spent the day moping around and taking walks into Seaside (and the ongoing rain).  Makes for a long day of doing little.

Today looks to be less rainy, and the storms are supposed to move inland this evening, so I will be heading for Fort Stevens/Astoria later this morning.   One factor in my blue mood is that I am just kind of killing time prior to getting to Portland next Thursday.  If there is a specific goal and a laid out path of travel then riding in the rain is bearable ... but if I feel like I am just kind of putzing around, then it makes little sense to be out in the wet and cold.  

Starting tomorrow, the skys should be blue ... and that should take care of my blues.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about the blues. :(

    It's been a strange adjustment for me, returning to my home in the pacific northwest. We saw such great weather while riding through the south -- sunshine & warmth. And now that I'm back in Seattle, it's cold and damp. It somehow feels as though I missed this year's summer.

    Alas, the weather in Seattle becomes reliably summer-like starting July 5th. And, soon enough, you'll be back in warm and sunny Tucson.

    May tomorrow's blues take care of your blues!

    ReplyDelete