Sacre Bleu (Sept. 1, 2013)

Riding along easily after leaving Cornwall, Ontario ... nice roads and reasonably nice weather (no rain as I had anticipated).  Just rolling along and feeling good about this new adventure.  The wonderful Waterfront Trail was to end at the Ontario/Quebec border, and the Route Verte bike trail was to begin ... I plan to follow this trail to Montreal and Quebec City.  Life is good.

Crossed into Quebec Province ... feels like I crossed the Atlantic Ocean!!  Where as in Ontario signs and such were in English and French, in Quebec Province everything is in French.  The inhabitants look like normal people, but the sounds coming out of their mouths are just that ... sounds.

After Patricia and Steve's presentation at the GABA (Tucson bike club) meeting concerning their bike tour to Asia, I made the comment to Patricia that I would feel very uncomfortable being in a place where I can not read the signs or speak the language.  Patricia indicated that my fears are due to my being "A GRINGO!!"  My few travels to non-English speaking countries has always been with someone who spoke the local language.  Sacre Bleu ...

To say I was uncomfortable is a vast understatement.  I considered heading back to Cornwall/Toronto or making a run for the U.S. border.  Being in this state of abject fear, my usual less-than-reasonable thought processes went out the window ... or maybe over the handlebar as my bike has no window.

I eventually found my way to a town by the name of Salaberry-de-Vallyfield, and checked into one of the two hotels.  Delightful place, beautiful location.  The adjacent picture is the small bay across from the hotel.  I plan on riding into Montreal this afternoon and spend tomorrow experiencing the city.  Maybe my fears will ebb somewhat ... for now I just indicate that I do not speak French, and hope for the best.

Fear is a powerful force ... best that I face it ... although the United States is but a half-day's ride away.

4 comments:

  1. Just say "zho" and they'll think you're saying hi to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. French: Dépaysement
    The feeling that comes from not being in one’s home country -- of being a foreigner, or an immigrant, of being somewhat displaced from your origin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And here I thought dépaysement was that space under the first floor of a house.

      Delete
    2. Keep yer bicycle in the depaysement.

      Delete