Sun Glasses (June 25, 2013)

Approaching Monterey, I felt the need to don a pair of sun glasses.  What happiness.  Even though I had experienced the discomfort of riding in the light rain, wind and overcast for only the past two and a half days, it seemed a lifetime since seeing the sun (ergo, warmth).

The 52 mile ride from Half Moon Bay to Santa Cruz was not an easy ride.  Wet and cool, with strong wind out of the south made for a long day.  Today's  50 plus mile ride to Monterey was less difficult as the winds had died down, but the morning was still wet and cool.

Big change in scenery also occurred today.  Agriculture took over ... strawberry fields for as far as the eye could see (kinda).  The sweet aroma of the fields made for an enjoyable ride.  Other crops were also in various stages of growth, including fields of artichokes.  Nasty looking plants, but Christopher Wren would have been pleased to see the symmetrical, edible veggie standing tall.

Also making the day enjoyable was meeting (or more appropriately re-meeting) several touring cyclist from the past several weeks of riding.  Most surprising was meeting up with a young couple I had met up in Oregon, and had not seen since crossing into California.  It all made for a sense of community that has been missing on this trek ... mostly due to my short distance days and my love of  motels.

Just a few more days of riding on this trek.  I can't say I will remember this ride with enthusiasm.  Lesson  learned, don't ride a route a second time (rode this route rwo summers ago).  Weather certainly has played into the lack of enjoyment, but knowing what is out in front of me takes much of the mystery of the unknown out of the ride.  The Pacific Coast is a great ride ... just not a second time. 

I will be catching the train back to Tucson Sunday afternoon in San Luis Obispo.  I see where Tucson is in the midst of record setting heat ... think I may enjoy that heat as I have tired of  temps being in the 50s and 60s.  I doubt the enjoyment will last more than a few hours, but these old bones need some baking.


Plans for July are somewhat unsettled.  Ruth and Henry Jacobson, who are in British Columbia for most of the summer, have very generously offered me the use of their guest house.  I will spend sometime in Tucson and head up to Northern Arizona for some respite from the heat ... as I said, it won't take long for my enjoyment of the heat to dissipate.

The second part of the summer of riding will start July 30, when I meet up with Kim in Minneapolis.  We plan on following various routes across the northern areas of the Midwest and New England, finishing  up in Maine toward the end of September.  New territory; new experiences.  Should  be good.

Due to my lack of enthusiasm, I have not been posting all that much.  I have been getting my "touring excitement" fix following the touring of Patricia Lebensohn and Steve Wilson.  Patricia and Steve are doing some heavy duty touring in South America ... the link to their journal is at http://dosbicicletas.blogspot.com/.  Quite amazing what they are doing ... well out side of my comfort zone.

So, four more days of riding ... Big Sur awaits.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Randy,
    Scott, Matt, Brian & I (and maybe others) have been talking about going up to Flag in July for a ride. Maybe we can meet you while you're up there. Let me know what your schedule is.
    Court

    ReplyDelete
  2. Randy, let me know if you need any type of support when you arrive in Tucson.... a ride from the train station, cold glass of water, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Randy - we're enjoying your comments. :-). See you soon in Tucson.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Randy,
    We're still here in Tucson, not quite melting.
    I got to ride Mt. Lemmon with Jannie last Tuesday; will you be riding on 7/2? Bike and Breakfast ride Sunday, details from Mark.
    Let us know if you need anything.
    Claire and Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. shades shadess_to_kravee SHADESS TO KRAVE... HAVE YOU CLICK THE LINK IN OUR BIO TO SHOP❓WE HAVE AN $8.99🔥🔥 SALE ON OUR SUNGLASSES... YOU DO NOT WANT TO MISS OUT‼️‼️

    ReplyDelete