Two Hard Days (May 31, 2011)


Even though the past two days were relatively short, I was well worn out by the time I reached South Bend, WA.

The ride from Balfair State Park to Elma was 62 miles of continuous ups and downs. The weather was okay (other than on the cool side for this Arizona boy). There was one horrendously long climb coming off of Highway 106 onto Trails Road. Lady in an antique shop(at the bottom of the climb) said once you get to the top of the short climb, it is pretty easy getting into Shelton. Clearly, the lady is not a cyclist ... in her mind a very steep 2 mile hill is short.

The 42 miles from Elma to South Bend was equally as difficult regarding climbs ... plus it rained all day. I had planned on camping in a hotel in Raymond, which is on the usual economic level of most towns in Southwestern Washington. I asked a young police officer about accommodations in Raymond. He asked if I had 4 more miles in me, and if I did I should ride on to South Bend. He suggested a motel by the name of Seaquest (of course it is "up the hill" from the highway!). I am very glad he suggested the Seaquest as it was very nice and very comfortable. The owner/managers were extremely accommodating. Included in the furnishings was one of the most comfortable leather easy chairs I have had the pleasure of resting my butt. This chair forced me to take a two-hour nap ... forced me I say.

After the day's ride in the rain I once again have come to the conclusion that riding in the (cold)rain sucks.

But life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment